“Relentless Absurdity”: An Army Photographer’s Censored Images

Real Name
Ken
Interesting read. I would be curious to know who has the rights to the images he shot during his time in the service that he stored on his hard drive. I would not be surprised if the Army has the rights.

--Ken

Interesting read. I would be curious to know who has the rights to the images he shot during his time in the service that he stored on his hard drive. I would not be surprised if the Army has the rights.

--Ken
I would interpret it as no different than working for a company.
The pics you take while "on the job" is company property, not yours.

Real Name
Ken
I would interpret it as no different than working for a company.
The pics you take while "on the job" is company property, not yours.
That is kind of what I would have thought. I work in local government, and when we outsourced our photographic services, the contracts stated that the works became property of the city, not the photographer. They were also considered public records. I am not sure how the Army compares, but I am assuming that they are not a more progressive organization when it comes to control of media.

--Ken

Real Name
Aaron
Thanks for the link - a very interesting read, and I'll probably try to pick up a copy of the book.

All armed forces images are public domain... at least the published images, anyway. It is not clear if the "censored" images are also public domain if never officially released.

The armed forces have their own publicly-accessible news wire service, Defense Visual Information Distribution Service: https://www.dvidshub.net

--Ken
It was said in the article that the photos are public domain and can be used by anyone for anything.

Real Name
Andrew

--Ken
Based on what some of my military friends have commented over the years, once you enlist - you don't even really "own yourself" for a period of time. So it seems logical that anything you create while in the military for the military or the government is governmental property and subject to those rules and regulations. Public domain being one of them.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom