- -------0------- +

Okay, coming from a normal education where negative is on the left of the number line and positive on the right, I have changed the indicators around on my D300s to the "proper" way (for me). But low and behold I go to dial in some exposure adjustment and the bloody dial still goes the wrong way! Presuming there's no way to adjust the dial to agree with the display, this is pretty dumb, and i'm sure it's something that they could have easily adjusted in the firmware.

Keeping that in mind, I'm not missing anything am I in relation to to the way the dial gets turned?

Well - I actually find Nikon's + --- 0 --- - quite logical :smile:

Think about it:

- Meter shows I'm overexposing
- I need to close the aperture or use faster shutter
- So I turn the command wheel in the direction of the meter, towards the minus end!

BTW, there should be a custom setting on your camera that lets you reverse the direction of the control wheel (I think it's called 'Customize command dials', f8 on my D300s)...

Cheers

Mike

f8 - you little beauty! :eek:
I'd missed that one. :redface:

Whoa - it reverses everything! Hmmmm, have to think about whether or not to do this now.

Do most nikon people just leave it as it is?

Think about it:

- Meter shows I'm overexposing
- I need to close the aperture or use faster shutter
- So I turn the command wheel in the direction of the meter, towards the minus end!

But it's the same with the display and wheel reversed anyway. Maybe I'll try the Nikon way and see if I can get used to it, though it would be fun confusing other Nikon users when they grab my camera!:rolleyes:

I'm a former math teacher, so - of course - I have reversed everything from the Nikon way to the "proper" way ;-)

it all started to go wrong when someone made a decision the lens should screw on backwards :wink:

doesn't bother me, easy enough to get used to whichever way round

Being an engineer this was the first setting I changed. I am guessing at the beginning old school photographers won over engineers.

Do most nikon people just leave it as it is?

I do and I could change it. I never really had a meter in my film cameras so having it in either direction wasnt really less intuitive to me. My Pentax MX had a meter but it was on the side of the View Finder and was an arrow.

it all started to go wrong when someone made a decision the lens should screw on backwards :wink:

doesn't bother me, easy enough to get used to whichever way round

Well it is only backwars if you turn the camera mount towards you, if you flip them on and off from the back then it is right. :tongue:

Wait, I haven't got to that!! :biggrin: Yeah that sure takes a lot of getting used to.

I reverse mine - it is just more intuitive for me.

Reversing it on the D7000 was one of the first changes that I made to the camera.

Being an engineer this was the first setting I changed. I am guessing at the beginning old school photographers won over engineers.
Wow! I didn't actually think that many would reverse it - so do you reverse the dial direction as well (if you can on your camera)?

so do you reverse the dial direction as well (if you can on your camera)?

Yes! To reverse the display without reversing the direction of the dial is even more confusing than having both of them working in the same "wrong" direction.

I'm just curious: do the Japanese read and write from right to left? If so, that would explain the difference between what some of us are used to using.

Yeah, the meter and the mount direction were two things that really caused me some grief getting used to, when coming from a Canon Rebel (after over a year, I still have to think about the lens mounting).

I guess I'm too much of a techie to expect positive to the right and negative to the left. :^)

I'm just curious: do the Japanese read and write from right to left? If so, that would explain the difference between what some of us are used to using.

I think they do, Mike. I remember Ron Reznick lecturing on the Oriental and Occidental perspective on photographs, and I think it stems from that R-L orientation.

It's not possible to reverse it on the D80 and it always drove me crazy. Reversing it on the D7000 was one of the first changes that I made to the camera.

Are there instructions in the owner's manual or perhaps you would be nice enough to share? I think the positive sign on the left is counter intuitive, as well.

im pretty sure you can switch the dials to go the opposite direction on the 300s?

but it has become second nature on my d90 i didnt really notice it until you mentioned it.

Careful though as it reverses everything those dials do, including which way you turn them to increase aperture or shutter speed.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom