08-08-08 Wedding UPDATED with more images added

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by SMH77, Aug 10, 2008.

1. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Here's a few from last night. We only had 30 minutes for the indoor formals. I was expecting an extremely stressful wedding due to an unrealistic schedule; I was surprised at how relaxed I was the entire night (a Powerbar and Gatorade right before the wedding must have helped!).

Here are just a few as I'm still processing the pictures (these are my first crack using NX2--which I'm liking so far--except for speed, as usual).

What do you think? (I know, pretty standard--I'm still working on the bulk of the pictures...)

(Note: The first image has been replaced with a retouched photo, so some of the ensuing comments will no longer apply about the shine on his forehead.)

357534345_uVCno-X2.gif

[​IMG]

348487005_sQjYp-X2.jpg

[​IMG]

Sean

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2008
  2. sean,
    nice work, as always
    one thing: in image #1... i'd UNSHINE his forehead a bit....

well done

3. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Thanks Greg. He was a bit sweaty, and his forehead shows it in this picture. I'm not quite sure what the best way to 'fix' this shot is--and can I do it in NX2? I've heard I can now perform localized adjustments in NX2--perhaps that includes highlight protection? Any advice is welcome...

BTW, all these pictures are WB set to 'auto'--and couldn't be better! I was truly amazed when I opened these pictures--firmware v2.0 really seems like an improvement.

I was also pleasantly surprised when the wedding coordinator told me I could use flash during the ENTIRE ceremony due to the poor lighting in the building. It really made a difference in the pictures and helped me balance out the exposure between the stained glass windows and subject.

Here's one more outdoor picture:

348527272_MAx9p-X2.gif

Sean

4. the last shot is gorgeous
    it IS great how the 2.0 WB seems to be improved

i would use my CS2 to fix it
    just some HEALING BRUSH
    it wouldn't take long

honestly, i'm not sure how it is done in NX2
    but, i'm sure that someone here know

5. here's a quick fix to show you
    healing brush only
    i touched nothing else in this image/just his face/and just that ONE tool in PS CS2
    hope you don't mind me posting it.... because we were already talking about the image

348690763_hucXe-O.jpg

6. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Greg,

That worked out fantastic! Duh, I wasn't even thinking about the healing brush (probably because it was a lighting 'thing' and not a skin blem). Just FYI: NX2 does have a healing brush in it as well so I'll have to give that a try.

Very simple and effective solution--thanks Greg!

Sean

7. thanks for your kind words
    i'm glad that NX2 has the same healing brush
    that is awesome
    glad i could give you that suggestion

good luck
    can't wait to see the redo

8. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    beautiful church and decorations.

the photos look good but if i may suggest a larger light source. i think it would lend itself nicely to the formals. it doesnt look like an umbrella was used (or if it was, it was awfully small)

keep it up

9. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    I like this one the best..

10. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Drew,

Thanks for the comments. I used a single SB800 fired into a 30" umbrella to the camera left. Due to the tight time restraints, I didn't get to set up a fill light on the camera, or slightly to camera right. Did I mess this up? You've got me concerned now...

Sean

11. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    fair warning, i'm being awfully picky. overall the images are GREAT so dont get me wrong. but with a larger umbrella (even just one light) the nose shadows could be a little less pronounced, and more flattering. something to think about.

if you dont mind me posting an image of my own for reference, the light just has a little less angle and the umbrella is 43" (single sb-800 used)

2753990994_21df02d450_o.png

12. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Thanks for the explanation Drew. I do appreciate the feedback and will keep it in mind in the future.

Actually, later on during the larger group photo, I did bring the light back closer to the camera so as to reduce the amount of shadows being cast onto faces; it looks like I should have done this a little sooner in the formal session. In all honesty, this was the first time I actually used the umbrella technique for the group formals and I was pretty anxious about doing it right. In the past, I've used a Light Sphere PJII, bounced off the ceiling. I did one or two shots of the B&G bounced in this shoot, but the wall over the stained glass window lit up too much and was distracting. When I saw the result (in camera) of the umbrella approach, I really liked it a lot and just shot the rest of the formals with the same setup. Time, during this formal session, was very tight so I didn't get any time to tinker with the setup and ran with what I had--which I agree turned out pretty good (but could be improved further). My main concern was balancing out the lighting of the stained glass window and exposing the group properly. I'm learning to turn the ISO back down and balance with flash to get a better lighting result.

I do have a 40+ in umbrella and will definitely use it next time. Thanks for the tips with what to watch for...

On your photo (which is nice, btw) why not have the grooms hand (left hand) come up to help support the bouquet? That's what I usually do to give the groom something to do with his hand (guys are terrible with their hands--as I'm sure you know; just don't know how to 'relax'), helps the bride with the weight of the flowers, it centers the flowers in the picture better, and draws the couple tighter--for a more intimate picture. Thoughts or comments?

Thanks again for the advice--I do appreciate it... :smile:

Sean

13. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    well lemme just say you balanced the ambient/flash very nicely. and i appreciate the input on the groom hands of my photo. the shot i posted was merely a quick selection of several, but i'm rarely happy with how the groom will just... relax. besides, meat and potatoes formals are NOT my thing... this is more my thing.

2690891659_ce12573b94.png
    View attachment 238051
    View attachment 238052

14. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Very nice...you had that pretty red door you should've used it.

15. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Here are a few more pictures from this wedding, now that I've had a chance to process some of them. At the end is a link to the slideshow as well for anyone wanting to view it.

357517022_83ofY-XL.gif

View attachment 238054

View attachment 238055

View attachment 238056

View attachment 238057

View attachment 238058

View attachment 238059

View attachment 238060

View attachment 238061

View attachment 238062

View attachment 238063

View attachment 238064

View attachment 238065

View attachment 238066

Comments and critiques welcome. Feel free to share your thoughts on these images.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2008
  16. Sean, pix are Red X's... ???

17. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Jim,

I don't know what's going on--> the smugmug domain that I had set up suddenly got switched!? I've switched it to something else and have corrected the links so that they now work. I'll have to call Smugmug to figure out what happened...

Now, when I look at the pictures, the horizontal aspect pictures look like they've been resized using some poor algorithm and are all pixelated.

Hopefully you can see the images now?

Sean

18. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Links should be fixed now. Not sure what happened, but it's fixed now...

19. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    The last one where she is hugging her new husband is just so emotional. Just clone out that lens flare. That is just awesome...I love the way the light is hitting her face. Good job.

20. Arc Studios

Arc Studios Guest

Here flowers are freakin huge!