1.4 vs 1.8 (50mm)

so is the 50mm 1.4(japan) better @f/1.8 than the chinese 50mm 1.8 @f/1.8

if you had to chose between the two lenses:
japanese 50mm 1.4
chinese 50mm 1.8...

what would you chose? i think the fairly obvious choice is the 1.4 and since i can get it for a great deal i think i will go that route... any objections?

thanks for the help
-drew

I just bought the 1.4, and it is "better", especially because that little extra low-light capability is important to me... however, mine is made in China.

shh... dont tell anyone... but i can buy it for $75 dollars (used)... yes, the AF japanese version... and NO thats not with my new employee discount... i wont take advantage of that discount until i have plenty of hours under my belt.. (new camera shop job...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a 50mm f1.4 and it is quickly becoming the 'go-to'
lens on my D70s. So pure and simple and can get right in there with the
'foot zoom'. All things being equal, then I'd suggest the f1.4

Since we are talking about the 50mm 1.4 here so I decided to ask here.

If the 50mm 1.4 compared to the 35mm F2...which will be more favourable in term of potrait use?

I'v been eyeing on these two for quite a while and the 85mm 1.4 is way way way out of my reach :frown: :frown:

The 50/1.4 is an excellent portrait lens, better for this application than my dear 35/2, in my opinion.

Experiment with test subjects to determine your preferred combination of DOF and bokeh. I like it at f2-f2.2 for people and f2.8 for dogs.

The 50/1.4 is an excellent portrait lens, better for this application than my dear 35/2, in my opinion.

Experiment with test subjects to determine your preferred combination of DOF and bokeh. I like it at f2-f2.2 for people and f2.8 for dogs.

Thanks for the input Holmes. I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

Any more inputs guys?

Click on details., Shows lens used.

Pretty amazing , Looks like thats his most used lens , then the 18-70 ,and a few 70-200.

D

Dan from New Jersey

I have the 1.4, sold my 1.8. The chinese version is fine, and I've seen countless reports that is is better than the Japan version. Keep in mind that they have been modifying the coating on these lens to maximize digital. I find, without exception, that the more recent lens coating to be superior to the older lens coatings. I believe it makes a big difference.

Dan

I have the 1.4, sold my 1.8. The chinese version is fine, and I've seen countless reports that is is better than the Japan version. Keep in mind that they have been modifying the coating on these lens to maximize digital. I find, without exception, that the more recent lens coating to be superior to the older lens coatings. I believe it makes a big difference.

Dan

Dan I am curious what you said about the new lenses have optimized coating for digital lenses, I know the DX type lenses have special coating for digital but since 50mm is not a DX lens does it also have special coating for digital?

Can you provide a link to any reports about it.

Thanks

Drew,

get the 50/1.4. where it is made does not make any performance difference.

It is one of the best nikkors. It is a superb portrait lens, much more
useful in this regard than the 35/2 ( imho ). As a matter of fact, I use it
as my walk around lens. That's just me, though.

Good luck

I have both the 35mm F2 AF and the 50mm F1.4 AF.
I think that the 35mm F2 is a wonderful lens and that the 50mm F1.4 loses some luster on a digital camera and produces more flare in backlight situations. I would skip the 50mm for portraits and go with the 85mm F1.8. You can get better bokeh with the inherently longer focal length.

Latest threads

Top Bottom