1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

10.5/2.8 underexposing

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by rickyg, Sep 19, 2008.

1. I recently came across a 10.5/2.8 that a friend is selling for a song. I tried it out and the problem seems to be that the lens is underexposing by around 2 stops, especially when used in matrix mode. Spot and center avg seems to be not as bad but needs a bit of compensation as well.

What would normally cause this? It's not the camera because all my other lenses are fine shot at 2.8. Is this easy to fix? Anyone have any idea how much it's going to cost to fix? I can return it if it'd be too much trouble or expense.

Thanks!

2. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    This may sound really dumb, but I figured I'd ask...does it have a ND filter on it?

3. The 10.5 doesn't accept filters. :frown: That would explain it, tho.

4. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Ah, okay, not familiar with the lens

5. Got me thinkin' (always dangerous) check the back of the lens and make sure no debris
    is in the opening of the blades lever. That could cause the "stop down" when mounted. :smile:

6. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Some you NEED to understand with fish eyes is that they gather light from A WHOLE LOT of area. Are you sure the camera isn't just picking up bright light sources and compensating for them?

7. shnikus

shnikus

May 16, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    With such huge FOV it is possible that matrix metering will get confused. Also depends on what camera you are using (# of metering areas). I use this lens on my D40 and sometimes see unpredictable results because of matrix metering.

8. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    I find my D300 will under expose if there are sources of light in view...and since it has a huge field of view this can happen easily. I sometimes switch to center weighted metering with this lens.

9. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    hmm...a double echo. strange.

10. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK

Surely even if there was an ND filter mounted the metering would just exposure for a longer period to counter out what the filter was doing.

I like the suggestions about lever being faulty.
    However checking that the metering isn't getting over excited about some highlights is good too.

11. That's the first thing I checked. Doesn't seem to be the problem. Could it perhaps have something to do with the chip or something? I was hoping someone had a someone with a similar experience could chime in....

I took extensive pics in all sorts of conditions. Indoors, with lightsources in the frame, indoors without light sources in the frame, outside without the sun on the frame, etc. With a light source in the frame, it does get much worse, though....

I'm using a D300. 51 af pts. The thing without exposure compensation, it consistently underexposes and exposure compensation at +2 EV results in more correctly exposed pics.

Center weighted results in less underexposed pics, though still underexposed.

I checked exposure vs. the 30/1.4 which is my next widest lens and the differences are obvious. (I find that the 30/1.4 overexposes a bit but that's another thread....)

Thanks for all the replies guys....anybody know how much nikon would charge for a tune up and r&r?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  12. Poohblah

Poohblah Guest

hi,
    i had this exact problem when first using my 14mm lens. the issue turned out to be stray light entering through the viewfinder. check to make sure that isn't the problem by covering the viewfinder with something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.