10.5 Fisheye vs ???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Minuteman3, Apr 6, 2007.

1. A few months ago, I purchased a Nikon 10.5 fisheye. After taking probably less than 10 images, I'm finding it really is not getting much use. Nothing at all wrong with the lens ... it's just more distortion than I seem to need, most of the time. (I can mitigate most of that in NX, of course, but it just adds in an extra step.)

I was thinking that maybe the Nikon 12-24 might be a better alternative or maybe there's something else out there that would fill the bill for something wider than the 18-135 I use most of the time.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

2. kirbdog

kirbdog

Mar 28, 2006
    Whistler, B.C.
    I have both the 10.5 and the 12-24mm. They are both very different lenses and the 10.5 is amazing for close up action. The 12-24mm excels at landscapes and anything you can think of.

There has been lots of postive talk about the Sigma 10-20mm and the Tokina 12-24mm here. I would suggest checking into those as well.

3. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Tokina has a zoom fisheye. It just came out.

4. Hmm, after a quick look at eBay and Amazon the prices are similar for the Nikon 10.5 and either of the Sigma & Tokina zooms.

Anyone have any examples taken with either of these two or any strong feelings as to which one might be better??

Thanks ...

Ken

5. sylwesterski

sylwesterski

Jul 25, 2006
    Seattle,WA
    I had a Tokina and sold it to buy Sigma because I like to shoot wide angle and extra 2mm makes vast difference. Image quality between the two lenses in my opinion is the same, both are very good especially when shooting wide open. The only thing I don't like about Sigma is it's built quality it feels cheap comparing to Tokina, Tokina feels and looks very solid even when comparing to Nikon.

When it comes to 10.5mm it's my favorite lens you just have to get creative with it, I love everything about it especially the distortion and it's low light performance.

6. I use the Sigma 10-20 for a rectilinear superwide. However, I like using the 10.5mm fisheye more:

DSC_0425.

7. minouuupak

minouuupak Guest

Hey all, I don't mean to jack the thread, but I had a question about wide-angle lenses. I really want to get one, but being a beginner and all, I don't know which one to get, and plus my budget isn't helping out. So I was wondering how the screw-in type wide angle lenses work. I know I would be sacrificing quality, but I just want to get some practice in i guess...?