10.5mm Fisheye panoramas

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Does anyone 'round here have experience doing panoramas with the Fisheye? I have an upcoming project photographing a 95,000 sq foot facility (from atleast a dozen vantage points) and would love to be able to offer Quicktime VR's instead of just superwide viewpoints.

Am I better off using a different lens and just stitching them together? I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences with VR work.

2. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I would think that would be veryhard/impossible to do as the distortion in the image everywhere except the center would make lining the edges up hard to put it lightly. I would think stiched images with a wide lens would be easier. even the tokina 12-24 has a decent amount of distotion at 12mm.

3. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have been playing with this lens ( 10.5 ) for 360 VR for a while. For 360 degree VR, I take 4 pictures. Use PTGUI 6.0.3 to stich, PhotoVista 3.0 to convert to Cube, Photoshop to edit and resize, then PanoCube-Plus to covert into Quicktime QTVR.

4. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    Edward - the panorama site is awesome! Really gives you a sense that you're there, spinning.
    Would be great for mountaintops, landscapes.
    Thanks
    Dave

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Could you elaborate a little more on your technique in regards to the actual picture taking process? Are you shooting every 90 degrees? Horizontal or vertical orientation?

As much as I would love a mac-based solution, I don't mind having to use windows for a special application such as this. I'll look into those tools.

6. I have been playing with panoramic QTVR's as well.... There are several important considerations:

1. Nodal Point
    2. Tripod Head
    3. Stitching program

The tricky thing is the alignment of the nodal point. I use a Manfrotto panoramic head 303SPH. It is heavy and some people say it is not sturdy enough to hold a heavy camera. There are other heads like Nodal Ninja and 360Precision. The last one is a very camera lens specific head and also kind of expensive.

For stitching program I use Stitcher Unlimited 5.6 from Realviz. Some people do not like this program but I find it very useful. The program will take the fisheye photo and make it flat just like Nikon Capture or NX.

I take 6 photos on the horizontal plane and one from above (Zenith) and two from bellow (Nadir). The reason for two from bellow is to try to take the tripod out of the photo. I merge the two Nadir photos on PhotoShop and try as much as possible to eliminate the tripod. Some people are very good at this technique.

I recommend you look at these two sites:

http://ivrpa.org/ and http://www.rosaurophotography.com/

Rosauro is an excellent photographer and very good at explaining how to make these panoramic QTVR's.

I have tried other lenses as well but then you get involved in too many photos.

Good Luck
    Elliot

7. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If you are serious about 360 QTVR then you have to consider Elliot suggestion on nodal point, pano head etc ...

I take horizontal at every 90 degrre, most of the time hand held. The output from PTGUI 6.0.3 sometime is not perfect because of my technique.

In order to get a real 360 VR then you have to take 8 pictures, 6 vertical and 1 top and one bottom. You have to have the right pano head to do this.

8. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm not worried about getting 360 x 360 panos. As long as I get 360 horizontal.. thats the important part for this project.

How much is a nodal head going to run? I always see them sold as kits but it seems like I can just get a head and mount it on my manfrotto legs. Is this true?

9. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal

that has to be one of the coolist things i have seen in a while!

10. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    WOW!! thats some powerful software! I never would have thought that was possible. looks alot better than those ones where they use a P&S and a mirror to do motel rooms and such!