10 feet long

Upon learning that I grew up in the small town of Hawkinsville, a friend told me of an email she had recieved from someone who lives there. My friend was having computer problems so she printed it out and gave it to me, I photographed it and am passing it on as recieved..
80440445.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's been a while since I saw, dead or alive, one this size. I'd much rather see it alive and in the wild, but knowing the area this one was I suppose it could have done some real damage to someone.
I didn't know they made kitchen brooms with that long a handle. :smile:
I do not know the person in the photo.

Jarrell

Sam doesn't look more than 130lbs himself!
And that has got to be the strongest broom ever made to be able to support 90lbs of snake.

Holey Smokes......

How does one kill a rattle snake that BIG with a broom.....
What a picture

I don't think so, sorry. That snake is being held much closer to the camera, which appears to have a very wide angle lens (note distortion of the buildings). I don't think many folks could hold 89 lbs that far forward of their body. I know 30lbs of striped bass held in a similar manner is very heavy and I'll bet I'm in better shape than Sam. For that snake to be 10', Sam would have to be over 6' tall himself, and I just don't think so.
Sorry, I just don't think it measures up to the reported dimensions. It is a BIG snake, no doubt, and better him than me.

I also question the 89lbs, that's pretty heavy to be holding out on a stick. To me the snake looks to be about 7... maybe 7 1/2 feet.. and I have no idea what one that size would weigh, but if I had to guess I'd say about 25 to 30 pounds.
BUT... I'm no expert on big rattlers.
Jarrell

I don't think so, sorry. That snake is being held much closer to the camera, which appears to have a very wide angle lens (note distortion of the buildings). I don't think many folks could hold 89 lbs that far forward of their body. I know 30lbs of striped bass held in a similar manner is very heavy and I'll bet I'm in better shape than Sam. For that snake to be 10', Sam would have to be over 6' tall himself, and I just don't think so.
Sorry, I just don't think it measures up to the reported dimensions. It is a BIG snake, no doubt, and better him than me.

I lift weights at the gym regularly, and I also use a snake tongs fairly regularly, and there is no way that guy is holding 89 lbs. out that far in front of him without straining and popping some blood vessels. Forget about doing it as he smiles! :biggrin: That is a nice, thick rattler, though. I'd like to know what kind it is...

Wikipedia

I lift weights at the gym regularly, and I also use a snake tongs fairly regularly, and there is no way that guy is holding 89 lbs. out that far in front of him without straining and popping some blood vessels. Forget about doing it as he smiles! :biggrin: That is a nice, thick rattler, though. I'd like to know what kind it is...

From what I read here:"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_adam,anteus", some can reach a significant length & weight. Luckily, I live far far away from om their normal habitat, but I was told that they have been seen in local quarries. The picture puts it nicely in/out of perspective...

I saw a Rattle snake coiled up in the middle of the road on my way to work out at the Kennedy Space Center that coiled up was as big as a tire, which I thought thats what it was in the road, until i got close and it ran into the brush.
It is all a wildlife refuge out there and I went on a back road way to work because of where I lived.
I have no idea how big that sucker was , but just seeing a snake that big scared the C%%*P out of me, even though I was in my car.

Latest threads

Top Bottom