10 from Baltimore Inner Harbor

p737915426-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p1036755193-5.jpg

p557873142-5.jpg

p1019236325-5.jpg

p763979601-5.jpg

p599520335-5.jpg

p710919278-5.jpg

p778398705-5.jpg

p607338308-5.jpg

p780526756-5.jpg

D

Deleted member 960

Wow, Floyd, these are stunning! If these are Steve's, you'd better give them
back before he gets upset.:biggrin:

Excellent work! :cool:

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I hope you take these comments in the helpful way they are meant.

Pictures shouldn't be converted to bw to try and make something out of them. convert when the bw creates or has a meaning that the color doesn't have.

I don't this is a particularly good group of pictures.

#4 is quite nice, well constructed, interesting view of lots of different worlds, the others are just pictures converted to BW and have no particular interest. There seems to be no real point to them.

The conversions look too contrasty and most of them look oversharpened. There are obvious halos around many of the straight lines; in particular look at the odd haziness around pilings in #7.

I hope these comments are of some interest.

Thanks for the honest critique Lew.
Yes I've got a bit to learn about sharpening, overprocessing and making more meaningful images.

As for conversion to bw, I don't get why that should be a sacred cow. Maybe it should be left just for certain images, but for me, I think many if not all of these images benefitted from removing the color.
That is not to say they don't make a pleasing image with the color left in, just in a different way.

Someday, maybe, I'll be able to see the outcome of an image in it's final displayed form, before opening the shutter, but not yet. :smile:

Again, I thank you for spending the time to critique these, and don't hesitate to grind away. I can take it. :)))

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Thanks for the honest critique Lew.
As for conversion to bw, I don't get why that should be a sacred cow. Maybe it should be left just for certain images, but for me, I think many if not all of these images benefitted from removing the color.
That is not to say they don't make a pleasing image with the color left in, just in a different way.

Floyd,

(these comments are not in response to your pictures but to this comment)

BW isn't a sacred cow. Like color, it has its place and its uses but it's not a panacea to make pictures stronger.

There seems to be a belief strongly held here on NC that converting a picture to BW gives some gravitas and brings it an impact that the color image doesn't have.

Conversion to B&W, Hand of God vignetting, lots of sharpening and a 'meaningful' title is the perfect path to get a bunch of attaboy comments.

BW works when the photog wants to suppress the impact of colors that aren't congruent with the idea of the photo.

But the picture has to have some meaning to start. Being in focus and being reasonably exposed are not only criteria for good pictures.

Lew

D

Deleted member 960

Looking at these again, 2, 6, and 9 are my faves, attaboy, Floyd!:biggrin: About
the thread title, that needs work. I'm on a couple forums where there is a
predominant number of Brits and they sometimes fire up us colonials with a
title 'tits'. And thinking this will be a pleasant change from the usual subject
matter you hurriedly click on it to see pictures of little unremarkable birds. Yeah.

They sure get a lot of hits from the American side, though.:biggrin:

Thanks Bill. #9 is my wife. Getting her started using the D90, to see if she even likes it.
Yea I remember how much juvenile fun I had when first finding out that a tit was a bird. What ? No nipples ? hahaha.

1,4,5,6, & 9 are nicely seen,processed & shot Floyd! Your "Street" is progressing & captivating in my humble opinion! Strip the color away whenever you want & express how you feel at all times! The craft that we do is certainly subjective & not pleasing to all but be true to yourself & push the envelope. There are 2 excellent books i'll recommend to you on "Street" that i think you may enjoy, "Street Photography Now", by Sophie Howarth & Stephen McLaren (Mostly Color) & "Unposed" by Craig Semetko (All B&W). Of course anything by Bresson,Karsh,Stieglitz! Im giving you an Attaboy for your works progression in the right way!

Thanks Steve ,
Amen on being true to yourself. If you say my "street" is improving that is one good thing, because you are ze master at that around here for me.

I'll definitely put those books on my list. Am reading 2 now, with one in the wings on my desk ( slow reader here ) :smile:

Thanks Steve ,
Amen on being true to yourself. If you say my "street" is improving that is one good thing, because you are ze master at that around here for me.

I'll definitely put those books on my list. Am reading 2 now, with one in the wings on my desk ( slow reader here ) :smile:

Too kind brotha! I've got a Lot to learn!:smile:

D

Deleted member 960

Steve, you need your very own gold-plated/monogrammed set of red marker
pens!:biggrin:

D

Deleted member 960

No, Steve, you're the best, only YOU! :biggrin: OK, Floyd, you can have your thread
back.:wink::biggrin:

I like this set, Floyd. I look forward to seeing more street shooting from you in the future. Steve's got it right. It's all about progression, and getting out there is 90% of the battle.

Gregory

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Greg. I appreciate your comments.
I need to go to places like this more often. When I go with my wife, and she wants to shop shop shop, I have all my fun then, watching for opportunities while she is in the shops. And a relatively busy place like that felt like a treasure chest of opportunity for what I'm used to.

Latest threads

Top Bottom