10 more from Dubai

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by dubaiphil, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Well thanks for all the warm welcomes - this definitely makes a change from many forums out there!

Here are a few more from Dubai over the last 18 months. It is very rare to get clouds or rain (5 days a year you may get a sprinkling), which make skyline and landscape shots tricky. There is quite often a haze of sand which limits visibility and the light is always very flat, so much so that on my last vacation (to Mauritius) it felt as if I had surgery to remove cataracts!

Temperatures range from the mid 20s to low 50s, which means you're a brave man to venture too far from your car and a/c in summer.

1 - Moonrise over a Minaret

Obviously, the United Arab Emirates is a muslim country, and you're never far away from a call to prayer. This is a minaret on a mosque near where I used to live. In the winter when the moon rises you get a sandy haze and colour, matching the tones of the mosques.

p785131785-5.

2 - Hatta Lake

Hatta is a town nestled in the foothills of the Hajar mountains, 140km from Dubai. You have to drive through Oman for 20km before returning to the United Arab Emirates to get there. 10% chance of clouds were forecast so like a madman I set the alarm for 4:00am to get there. The mountains are pretty desolate, but when the sun rises and it's clear, they light up beautifully.

p755955998-4.

3 - Atlantis

Clouds again, so I raced down to the end of the Palm to capture this view of Atlantis. I'd just received a 10 stop ND filter and was determined to put it to some use, but really had to stretch things to get some movement into the high clouds. F22, base ISO, 10 stop + 3 stop + polariser = lots of degredation in IQ but I got the effect I was after.

p331322711-4.

4 - Burj Al Arab

The Madinat complex includes two hotels (Al Qasr and Mina A Salaam) and a traditional souk inspired shopping and entertainment complex, with waterways and watertaxis to help you get around. One example of nice architecture in Dubai, and lots of views frame the Burj Al Arab nicely.

p242152793-4.

5 - Two Burjes

I was very lucky with this one. Firstly, there was good visibility and wind to blur out the clouds. Secondly, the Burj Khalifa (the world's tallest building) was just opened so searchlights lit up the sky from the tower. The Burj Khalifa is 17km away from the lens, the Burj Al Arab is 4km from the lens, and the third hotel that's prominent is the wave shaped Jumeirah Beach Hotel.

p779443398-4.

6 - Bastakiya

Another one from the movie set that is Bastakiya. This is a traditional area of town with old wind towers, traders shops and houses and winding cobbled streets. It is home to several restaurants, boutique hotels and cafes, and is great for a wander around - maybe coming to a Tom Cruise MI-4 film soon.

p665270713-5.

7 - Fort Hayl, Fujairah

Fujairah is another emirate and is 160km from Dubai, on the east coast. There are numerous hill forts guarding old passes and trade routes through the Hajar Mountains. My first attempt at star trails didn't work too well, but there was a nice golden hour.

p765180635-4.

8, 9, 10 - Wafi Mall

Emiratis love to shop, and there are many malls in town. Wafi Mall is smaller than most, and has an Egyptian theme. Here are a few from outside the mall one evening.

p672578328-4.

p593173764-5.

p807736328-4.

So there you go - a little bit more of a flavour of this area of the world!

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Excellent series! #1 and #5 are my favs - but they are all very well done!

Please share more!

3. Excellent, Phil. Thanks for posting.

4. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

These are awesome!!!

You do really good work, Phil, and #1 is simply superb; well done!

5. Thanks, your series is great keep them coming.

6. sla12

sla12

Jul 2, 2009
    Nashua, NH
    Wonderful series. Well done.

7. AtlPikMan

AtlPikMan

Sep 21, 2008
    Atlanta Ga
    Excellent Series, I like all of them. Dubai is inthe top 4 places i want to visit\photograph. Looking forward to more.

8. sektor 11

sektor 11

Oct 12, 2010
    cincinnati
    My dad lives in Abu dhabi and sends some pictures at times of Dubai. It looks amazing. I like #8, don't know why but I found myself going back to it quite a few times.

9. Thanks for the comments. @sektor 11 - 8,9 and 10 are taken with the Zeiss 35mm. I love the way it renders a scene - that may be something to do with it...

10. These are awesome! 3 and 5 are simply amazing and make me envious of where you live! I plan on going there some day!

11. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Beautiful shots. #3 stopped me in my tracks. Welcome to the Cafe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.