10 most expensive photographs sold ..

Looking at those pics... if I had taken #1 there is an astronomically high chance that I'd have thrown $4.3 million in the delete file. Not interesting to my eye at all...

It seems my recycling bin will make me a millionaire after all.
I suppose for "art sakes", collectors will pay for anything.

You guys realize Steichen's Pond was made before color processing existed? Not bad for 1904.

Sean

Now I do. :biggrin:

I actually have no issues with these images.
I was merely adding to everyone's comment that one's collection may in fact be worth millions of dollars and we don't realize it. :smile:

Man this HAS to be a joke, who would pay photo #6 by Andreas Gursky (2001) $3.3 million for that supermarket shot? Lets say it took her a year of shooting just to get it perfect, that's over $250,000 a month...sign me up! :smile:

I know I'm not the most artistic person in the world, but could someone explain to me why Gursky's Rhein II is worth 4.3 million? Other than getting the horizon straight, I'm just not seeing anything.

The comments on these photos are interesting. What really fascinates me is the comments I get from my "non-photographer" friends. Be sure to show these to people you know who are not photographers and see what kind of response you get.

One problem we all have here is that we look as these and say "Gee, we can do THAT!". Well, the reality is, at least for me, if I could I wouldn't be working at my day job, that's for sure :biggrin:

How much is marketing and how much is "art"? I sure don't know, but isn't this what art is all about in the first place?

What do you all think? How would you rank them? How much would YOU spend?

The spending does not say a lot about the quality of the pictures. It's all a matter of how much money you have, in fact of showing how much money you have. Just as the surgeons/lawyers who are walking around with a Leica and shooting with the lens cap on, to a large extend the prices paid for these photos are due to billionaires who want to show off to their fellow one percenters look, I can AFFORD to pay this much for a stupid photo!

As for what is art, and what not... that discussion is as old as the hills. No use to repeat all the arguments pro and con.

It's funny that some consider the Steichen picture the most artistic, given that it's value is probably the least based on its artistic merits, and more on its technical (color, 1904) aspects and the photographer, where the work of Gursky and Sherman was much more valued on the picture itself. In the eyes of the buyer at least.

Then again judging art on its retail value is plain silly.

Anyone like to have a Gursky contest? Try to take a picture with these lines in them. ;)

Looks easy. But I bet it is not.

Latest threads

Top Bottom