10 Myths about Rule of Thirds

I am still chortling/chuckling at how one of Laocoon's most prominent anatomical features in his marked-up picture of “Laocoon & His Sons” is NOT at one of the intersections :ROFLMAO::smuggrin:. I wonder what other rule applies?

I am still chortling/chuckling at how one of Laocoon's most prominent anatomical features in his marked-up picture of “Laocoon & His Sons” is NOT at one of the intersections :ROFLMAO::smuggrin:. I wonder what other rule applies?
Oh, Nick, nick, NICK!!!!! You have outdone yourself on this one. I had to go look again, and, well, 'nuff said. Only you, Nick, even I would not have gone there ...... :rolleyes: ( but I am glad you did, this is FUNNY! )

I'm with Randy on this one. I like what I like and that changes frequently...

I'm more dismayed with the realisation that someone out there still uses Internet Explorer....:eek:..:D

Who needs thirds? Carve this on your focusing screen and you'd never go wrong. And it needs no sticking √ or any other root.

Just a quick shot to show how everything in this picture is the result of some important line, intersection, oval or point. Those elements not explicitly fingered by a line, oval, point, etc., are contributing to the dead space (or living space, in the case of the house). This being the far north of Minnesota there are no Arabesques to be found (I think the mosquitos chased them away).

I think aliens could use this as a navigation aid.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

While that is not bad, Nick, I like the outhouse at a powerpoint, I would have expected something a bit different from an Idahoaainianer:

The Mr. Potato Head Rule .......

Ah yes, every inch a significant bit!!! I wonder if he is worth a million bucks, like the other spud photo was?

The outhouse, is a Sauna, - this is a shot from northern Minnesota. It is probably the most important spot on the homestead--it shoud have a star all of its own :)

“Now to consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk. Such rules and laws are deduced from the accomplished fact; they are the products of reflection.”—Edward Weston

“Rules are foolish, arbitrary, mindless things that raise you quickly to a level of acceptable mediocrity, then prevent you from progressing further.” —Bruce Barnbaum, from the book, The Art of Photography

“There are no rules for good photographs, only good photographs.” —Ansel Adams

“Rules of composition are deduced from the work of strong masters and used by weak imitators to produce… nothing.” —Edward Weston

“Now to consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk. Such rules and laws are deduced from the accomplished fact; they are the products of reflection.”—Edward Weston

“Rules are foolish, arbitrary, mindless things that raise you quickly to a level of acceptable mediocrity, then prevent you from progressing further.” —Bruce Barnbaum, from the book, The Art of Photography

“There are no rules for good photographs, only good photographs.” —Ansel Adams

“Rules of composition are deduced from the work of strong masters and used by weak imitators to produce… nothing.” —Edward Weston

I subscribe to the rule of 1/2's
Half the time I don't give a crap, I'm just happy to get the shot.
I learned how to crop a long time ago, it's served me well. :p
(interesting thing: swap crap and crop above...still makes sense) :ROFLMAO:
HA!!!!
I teach a conservation planing class, and the byline for the course is:

Half of everything you hear in a classroom is crap. Education is knowing which half is which.“

From The Rules of Planning: Advice found on a wall in a planning office.

Replace 'Education' with 'experience' and Will, and others, are spot on :D

HA!!!!
I teach a conservation planing class, and the byline for the course is:

Half of everything you hear in a classroom is crap. Education is knowing which half is which.“

From The Rules of Planning: Advice found on a wall in a planning office.

Replace 'Education' with 'experience' and Will, and others, are spot on :D
Was that a Men's or Women's Planning Office you found this on? :rolleyes:

Thank for this thread, I PP 1/3 to please others, but I may not like it, now stop making me do things I don't like. I agree with Randy, Pa, Will and others, I have spent my time in the corner wearing a Dunce Cap because they said so :rolleyes:, I don't think most old time renaissance painters painted because they enjoyed breaking rules read on the internet, back in the day you were admonished for painting even number of birds in the sky, THEY SHOULD BE ODD numbers. OK I feel better now.:bag:

We need it to help people get started. Later they can break the rules for effect.

I used to see a daisy flower dead center in the frame. 99% of the time it does not work. The camera club used to call it a "bulls eye."
but you probably do not want it on the thirds line either.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom