10+ Nikon D3s on ebay for $1600...new ebay scam?

Looking at the person's feedback, it seems like they sell packaging materials, except a Canon 5DII and D3s, each for $1600. Maybe the seller's account was hacked and the hacker posted this ad up?

No pictures, No receipt, No Serial Number, and lack of knowledge of what accessories the camera comes with is more than enough proof that the listing is indeed a scam. I feel sorry for the 2 people that bought the 5DII from the seller

No pictures, No receipt, No Serial Number, and lack of knowledge of what accessories the camera comes with is more than enough proof that the listing is indeed a scam. I feel sorry for the 2 people that bought the 5DII from the seller
They'll find out soon enough more than likely. One thing about ebay, people dont use their heads before bidding. All they think "I have to win this" and bid willy nilly. Sad when you see something sell used for more than it did new especially if its still being produced.

They'll find out soon enough more than likely. One thing about ebay, people dont use their heads before bidding. All they think "I have to win this" and bid willy nilly. Sad when you see something sell used for more than it did new especially if its still being produced.
No kidding! I see 35 f/1.8's go for $260+ fairly regularly...

Given the description claims he bought two but one is enough, yet it shows 'more than 10 available' at the top - and he also has "more than 10" 5D Mark II's for sale...

The 5D Mk II listing shows '2 sold' already :)

It says (in all caps) "DO NOT BUY IT NOW UNTIL YOU CONTACT WITH ME"
Meaning you have to contact him so he can upsell you. My guess is that the $1600 price is just for the D3s strap. The body, battery and charger is $3,599 and you must buy them together or else no sale. Your total is $5199.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Nikon-D3s-12-1-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-/120731683450?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item1c1c2b4a7a

Is this even legit? I've exchanged a few emails from the seller and it SEEMS legitimate, but I'm skeptical..I was never able to talk the seller of my D3s below $4.5k :tongue:
You really have GOT to be kidding.
I bet B&H would LOVE to get there hands on D3S bodies for half of what it cost Nikon to make them.
Go ahead if you like to throw away money.

You really have GOT to be kidding.
I bet B&H would LOVE to get there hands on D3S bodies for half of what it cost Nikon to make them.
Go ahead if you like to throw away money.
:confused:

I didn't buy it. I almost got scammed once in the past, and i'm definitely not going to get scammed again. Besides, I don't need 2 D3s'. :smile:

It says (in all caps) "DO NOT BUY IT NOW UNTIL YOU CONTACT WITH ME"
Meaning you have to contact him so he can upsell you. My guess is that the $1600 price is just for the D3s strap. The body, battery and charger is $3,599 and you must buy them together or else no sale. Your total is $5199.
While many places do upsell, this is not the intention with the wording. Any wording with like that in the listing is strictly so they can take you out of the email messaging system and go to email. Once you commit to buy, they send you a spoofed Ebay page via email to purchase the item. Of course by doing it this way, Ebay will have no record of any communication or the transaction. The only information that Ebay can provide later on is the IP address logins of the actual Ebay account that was hijacked. Majority of the time the IP addresses come back outside of the country.

I dont even bother looking at Ebay. I really dont trust it.
i trust e-bay for smaller items. i regularly buy archery gear from e-bay stores.

but there's a HUGE difference between spending $80 on a Bitzenburger Fletching Jig i use in my hobby and dropping several thousand on a tool for work.

i buy my gear from an Australian dealer. sure, it costs me a fair bit more than going the grey import or e-bay route.

Keith (my camera dealer) has taken incredibly good care of me for a lot of years now. i see no reason to abandon what has been a mutually profitable business relationship for the sake of a couple of dollars.

buying from Keith, i get 100% peace of mind. i know what will turn up is what i ordered. i know that Keith has pulled every example of whatever lens i'm after off his shelves and checked them all out to send me the best example he has in stock. i know that if there's any problems or hassles Keith will deal with it for me double quick smart and I know that Keith can (and does) twist the arms of both Canon and Nikon to get the best deals possible for his customers. he acquired a Canon 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 for me recently when almost no-one in the country had them in stock or could get them from Canon Australia.

sure, it costs me a couple extra (tax deductable) dollars. but the lack of stress and peace of mind i get in the bargain is priceless.

When I buy camera gear on Ebay I scrutinze everything on the seller. I even look that the buyers and sellers that were attached to the one seller I'm looking at. Some Ebayers make up an alias so be careful. And for anyone that says "email me first before bidding" I always report them and within a day Ebay gives them the boot.

It is beyond me that people even consider for a minute that ads like this may be genuine.
you'd think common sense would kick in.......:tongue:

ahemmmm...........you know what, I think it sounds like a pretty good deal! go for it!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom