1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

10-stop ND filters for 82mm threads

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by panda81, Aug 17, 2009.

1. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I can't seem to find any 10-stop ND filters for 82mm threads. Does anyone happen to know off the top of their head who might make or sell these? It doesn't have to be exactly 10 stops, but something that can give me a really long exposure. Or, alternatively, can I just stack two 4 stop ND filters to make an 8 stop ND effect, or does the math not work that way?

Thanks!

2. arela

arela

Jan 15, 2008
    Norway
    I have one of these (77mm).
    Since it is 2 layer of glass (glass + air + glass ~ 5mm), it tend to flare.
    If not pointed at the sun, it is very usefull.

What can go wrong:

[​IMG]

This is what I wanted this filter to do:

[​IMG]

3. Chad

Chad

Jan 25, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Hi Jerry
    I did some looking around and didn't find any 10 stop ND filters in anything larger than 77mm. With that said, are you sure you need a 10 stop ND filter? Such a filter would allow one tenth of one percent of the ambient light to pass. If you are going for the soft water effect, this would be too "strong" of a filter (an ND64 has a 6 stop reduction and would be more appropriate). You can stack two 82mm linear polarizers and rotate one to get as little as zero transmittance. I think that's what arela posted above. By the way, I've tried this with two circular polarizers without any luck.

~Chad

5. PeterGGlaso

PeterGGlaso

Jul 10, 2008
    Norway
    Following this with interest, as i'm awaiting my Zeiss ZF 21 lens, who use 82mm filters. I really like info on ND/GND filters.

6. arela

arela

Jan 15, 2008
    Norway
    No - but i bought this filter on epay (jin camera).
    Seems there isn't any listed at this moment.

7. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks everyone. Nick's suggestion for the 8 stop filter should be perfect for what I'm thinking. By the way, Nick, I'm sure you can guess why I'm asking for an 82mm filter...:smile: Guess what I acquired over the weekend? Hint...what Peter's waiting for...

8. billbunton

billbunton

Jan 7, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've got a 77mm Vari-ND, but I haven't gotten around to getting an 82mm for use on the ZF21 :) 

9. Check LEE filters on ADORAMA/B&H (for US) or WAREHOUSEEXPREES/Robert White (UK).
    System adapter rings go up to 105mm.
    Individual filters go up to 4 stops but stacking beyond 2 filters is possible.
    Warning - not cheap.

10. Well done Jerry - I bet you do not sell THAT one!

No straight lines or you will get "mustached".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.