10 year old tackles flower photography

My granddaughter Rylee was here for a few hours this afternoon. She was getting bored. I had the idea to let her use my Z50 to take some flower photos in our yard since the flowers are glorious right now. She had so much fun using the camera. Then we uploaded the photos to Lightroom and I showed her a couple of little things, then let her have fun and experiment. She loved it. Here are a few of her shots.

DSC_7188 - Copy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_7191 - Copy.jpg

DSC_7266 - Copy.jpg

DSC_7270.jpg

Here she is in action.
_DSC9928.jpg

_DSC9932.jpg

_DSC9933.jpg

_DSC9947.jpg

_DSC9946.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
No grandchild could have any idea how lucky s/he is to have such a wonderful grandmother for getting help with a start on photography.

I especially like her technique of poking her finger in her eye while she holds the camera. :ROFLMAO:
Don't knock it! I can't wink!!!!! For year I have held my left eye closed with my left hand! LOL! (Should have seen my trying to do photography while scuba diving! :eek:)

Terri, she is a natural! Great photos! Please let hear read all these compliments on her photography!

Uh-oh, Terri.....you may have just ignited a lifetime passion!!!! :).

For a beginner she is doing really well! Good eye for composition! She is off to a good start.

Uh, just a couple of things, though, before she develops potentially bad habits.... Right from the start show her what a difference using a lens hood can make -- having it in reverse (storage) position at the end of the lens doesn't do much good. Lens hoods were designed for a very good reason. [Pause here for a big tip of my hat to the very patient Dave Watts, who years ago was horrified when he saw that I wasn't using my lens hoods and firmly instilled in me that, yes, I needed to do so, that they serve a really valuable purpose.] Also, IMHO Rylee does need to learn how to hold the camera and lens properly, so that she is supporting the lens rather than just letting it hang out there. This is important with all lenses, regardless of their size and length.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Pa
Next up: Get her Bryan Petersons "Understanding Exposure, 4th edition" so she can understand what the camera was doing for her. Next turn the camera to "M" then tell her to use the summer to her profit and take the same images later in the year using "M" to demonstrate what she has learned. :):cool:

From the "evil" man in Houston...
Nick

Don't knock it! I can't wink!!!!! For year I have held my left eye closed with my left hand! LOL! (Should have seen my trying to do photography while scuba diving! :eek:)

Terri, she is a natural! Great photos! Please let hear read all these compliments on her photography!
Thank you, Karen!! I'll make sure she sees this!

Uh-oh, Terri.....you may have just ignited a lifetime passion!!!! :).

For a beginner she is doing really well! Good eye for composition! She is off to a good start.

Uh, just a couple of things, though, before she develops potentially bad habits.... Right from the start show her what a difference using a lens hood can make -- having it in reverse (storage) position at the end of the lens doesn't do much good. Lens hoods were designed for a very good reason. [Pause here for a big tip of my hat to the very patient Dave Watts, who years ago was horrified when he saw that I wasn't using my lens hoods and firmly instilled in me that, yes, I needed to do so, that they serve a really valuable purpose.] Also, IMHO Rylee does need to learn how to hold the camera and lens properly, so that she is supporting the lens rather than just letting it hang out there. This is important with all lenses, regardless of their size and length.
My fault about the lens hood. I had her holding the camera better by the end of the afternoon. She is a quick learner.

Next up: Get her Bryan Petersons "Understanding Exposure, 4th edition" so she can understand what the camera was doing for her. Next turn the camera to "M" then tell her to use the summer to her profit and take the same images later in the year using "M" to demonstrate what she has learned. :):cool:

From the "evil" man in Houston...
Nick
Good tips. I have that book here somewhere.... Next time I will try to help her learn the basics. Today was just to let her have fun and to help her get excited about it!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom