100% crop shot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D. L. Miller, Jun 13, 2005.

1. I keep seeing people talking about posting a 100% crop shot. What does that mean?

2. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Not 100% (is that a pun?) sure, but when you view "actual pixels" in Photoshop, the viewing window is huge and says 100%. I note that some people cut out a chunk of this and display it on forums to either prove or disprove arcane points in endless debates.

Other than that, I'm not sure how useful it is.

3. How do you cut out a chunk. If I use crop tool to cut out a chunk, then I increase that chunk it make it huge and grainy.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The term itself is cnfusing. Intuitively 100% crop implies the crop shows 100% of the picture. No, it means that a small portion of the photo is shown at full resolution.

If I got to make up all the photo-jargon, I'd call it a 'crop at full resolution".

5. The easy way is to post the original picture and let people crop out what they like :wink:

6. Surely people would crop out what they don't like?

:lol:

Seriously though, I'm grateful for the explanation because I had hitherto misunderstood what 100% crop meant.

7. marc

marc Guest

it means you are viewing the photo at 1:1 resolution

100%

useful, when doing post process

sharpen etc.

most viewers display at 25-50% at first opening

yes, people like to show there crop, over and over

does help to see the quality of photo
    also reveals all of the problems, like oof

be careful, what you wish for.

good luck

8. I get it. :D :D

Use the Nav tool, increase image to 100%.
    Cut out a "chunk" of it , keep it at 100% (1:1 resolution) and one will have a 100% cropped photo.

Where I was confused: I would use the cropping tool. End up with an image (i.e. 4X6), then blow that up to 100%. Instead of having a 1:1 resolution, I must have been 4 or 5 to 1, making even the clearest crop grainy.

Now I get it.... Thanks to all

Dan

9. Not to confuse anyone, I would blow up the new image to fill the page. I didn't understand the 1:1 ratio, like I do now.

Sorry for all the threads I am making for this question

But I do understand now, thanks to your replies

Thanks again