105/135 f2 DC, 85mm f/1.4 Scattered Lust

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by helmet155, Dec 5, 2005.

1. My current lens lineup: Sigma 300/2.8, Nikkor 80-200 AF-S, Nikkor 18-70 AF-S...

I have been thinking of expanding into doing more than motocross and wildlife photography...and looked at the 135 initially thinking how sweet it would be on my D70 ;) so...

I was snagged by LL this morning, looking at some photos the 135 and 105 seemed like something I would want in my bag...hard to decide on which focal length is right, I would have overlap with the 105 and 135, but if I went with the 85/1.4 then no defocus control. Is DC a novelty and the cool factor will wear out quickly?

On the other hand, I don't have any Macro type lenses, which I would like to have so maybe I should go that route instead :confused:

Too many options...not enough knowledge in my head...time to bust out the research websites (Thank you Bjorn in advance)...

Not sure where I am going or what I am asking, but if you have time jot some of your thoughts down here if you would!

Best Regards,

Brett

For future searches: 105mm 135mm 85mm defocus

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Brett :

I have both the 105mm f/2 DC and the 85mm f/1.4, and they are definitely different animals.

I love shooting with the 105mm DC as it produces glamour images that are purely delightful, but I don't tend to use it as much as I'd like because the focal distance limits me on some indoor work. I like the 85mm f/1.4 for lower light portrait shooting and detail shooting in museums etc.

I've shot with the 135mm DC, but I found the FL just a bit too long for my needs at the time. Nice lens if you can work with that limitation. OTOH, that midrange might be just what you're looking for...

The DC is about everything it's cracked up to be, but tied to longer FLs than one might ideally want for digital shooting with the 1.5 multiplier. I just wish that I had a ~70mm f/2 DC for the best of all worlds. For the record, I don't think that the DC function is a gimmick, but its use might have less utility for some than others. In general, the 85mm f/1.4 is possibly a more versatile lens, and likely holds better resale value (if that's important).

Unless you have unlimited funds, I'd strongly review and consider your photographic needs, present and anticipated future, before committing to any of these lenses. If possible, try borrowing/renting the lenses for some trial shooting and then make an informed decision. You might also look at some "lesser" lenses (please note the quotation marks) like the 85mm f/1.8 or one of the manual AI/AIS lenses, which could offer you the opportunities that you want for somewhat less money.

John P.