105/2 DC sample for Uncle Frank.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by cwilt, Jul 23, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Horrible lighting conditions with office fluorescent lights on the subjects left and window light on the subject's right. Handheld at 1/125@f2, ISO 560, and processed with Raw Magick Lite (beta). This is my lovely wife who hates to have her picture taken. So far, this has been the only image she has let me print or add to my gallery.
    :shock:
    [​IMG]

2. Nice. Looks like the plane of primary focus extended from her right eye to the watch on her left wrist. It's plenty sharp wide open, but just look at how narrow the dof is at f/2 -lol! I'd love to see more f/2 shots in better light, and some outdoor snaps at tighter apertures. I know it's a great portrait lens, but I'm also interested in how it performs for general telephoto work.

Thanks for the sample, Charles!

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Frank,

When I get the chance I will get those snaps for you in better light. To much work, and not enough shutter time. :(

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Charles, your wife should let you shoot and post her more often. Her eye contact is astounding, and she is very lovely as well. Beautiful women should not hide from view!

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I agree with you, but when I told her what you said she called me a liar. :lol: Maybe some day I will break her of being camera shy. :)

6. xaviermacau

xaviermacau

May 9, 2005
    Macau
    Charles,
    Tell me please if the DC was on neutral position? or did you switch it to RF or FF?
    Thanks

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I believe it was on a rear setting but I cannot remember for sure. Did you see something in this image to make you ask that question?

Kind regards,

8. xaviermacau

xaviermacau

May 9, 2005
    Macau
    Guess it was on neutral, cause the nose seems to be also in focus and the hair beyond eye's plane also in focus. I asked the question because the DC is very tricky to use. People in this and dpreview forum say they use on neutral DC. I myself don't know if should be set to neutral or DC either RF or FF cause on both of them focus plane seems to be on the front or back border.
    Really nice shot.

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    What you are seeing is the narrow DOF at f2. The camera angle was from above her so the area in sharp focus is at an angle.

10. xaviermacau

xaviermacau

May 9, 2005
    Macau
    Charles,
    Thanks for your reply