105 f/2.8 Micro Nikkor VR vs. D Question

Real Name
Ken
I have owned the VR version of this lens over 10 years and have been quite happy with it. A good friend is thinning his lens herd and asked if I was interested in picking up the D version for what he would receive on a trade-in. I know the newer version is considered by many to be better than its predecessor, but I am wondering if there would be any reason for me to consider acquiring the D version (as I am not very familiar with it). I am not looking for redundant lenses, but sometimes certain lenses have certain characteristics that make them desirable even if they have been replaced with a newer model. I am currently shooting with a D610 and D500. Any thoughts?

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
Does anybody have any general thoughts about the D version? Not an easy forum search given how many different ways one can abbreviate the full name of this lens.

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
I have had both and and still have the vr version and see no reasons why you would want to buy the older version. Its not sharper, af is slow and so on
That was what I thought, but my friend has dropped the price a bit, and it is part of a package of gear that I want, so I am going to take it. I am sure I can sell it for what I paid, and the price is not a lot, so in the name of being a good friend, I probably just fatten my lens herd a bit. :cow:

--Ken

Sorry for this post, it could be annoying a little bit, but I want to show my way to solve the problem in critical situation. So the combo of D810 + the last Nikkor 80-400 lens + Canon 500D screw-in. At 400mm, minimal distance, f11.0, ISO800. On a FX frame this combo delivering 1:1.5, and on DX 1:1. My wristwatch, couple crops.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ken
Its a bit OT, but the images are quite impressive. The Canon 500D has quite a reputation, and they are not easy to find these days. Glad it is a working solution for you.

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom