1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

105 f2 DC has arrived...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Joe Marques, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Nice to buy a used lens that looks brand new. Cosmetically it's 10/10. Popped it on the D700 and fired a few shots around the house first, kids were still at school and I'm working from home today. Sharpness is very good but AF hunts a bit in low light. Pretty sure AF is better with my 85 1.4. I need to test it on a tripod to be sure since f2 was a challenge (admittedly at 4-5 feet so not exactly deep DOF). :tongue:

Here's the first few shots wide open before the humans got home from school. All @ ISO 3200 - the D700 is simply amazing @ this ISO. No NR applied at all.

CLICK IMAGE TO VIEW LARGER SIZE

1/125 f2 @ ISO 3200 - noticing perhaps a shade of front focus (see table cloth):

[​IMG]

1/100 f2 @ ISO 3200 - love the shallow DOF and thus 3D look of the glass:

[​IMG]

1/200 f2 @ ISO 3200 - looked for an interesting bg to see the bokeh a bit. I like it.

[​IMG]

Then the humans arrived... :tongue:

Luke would not stop goofing around, but at least there were some interesting highlights behind him camera left.

1/200 f2 @ ISO 3200 - skin tones are outstanding with the D700 and this lens. Just did a slight WB tweak, that's it.

[​IMG]

More goofing around...

1/320 f2 @ ISO 3200:

[​IMG]

Finally a serious expression...

1/320 f2 @ ISO 3200:

[​IMG]

A few observations. Lens is not "heavy" on contrast. I think that's what makes it a special portrait lens. I often have to dial DOWN contrast on images, here I had to increase contrast slightly on non-people shots. This is a good thing IMO.

I'm not an expert on lens "color" but I find the color from this lens superb. This is probably the best skin tones out of the box I've seen on the D700.

DC function was not intuitive so reading instructions is a must. First time I tried it I was @ f2 and DC 5.6 R which made the subject soft. Then I learned DC must be equal to or larger than f-stop to only impact bg and not soften the subject.

Need to check focus on a tripod to be sure this lens is sharp. Certainly a bunch of very sharp images but many more OOF (mostly due to the combination of subject movement, close focus distance, and low'ish shutter speeds). So it's probably user error but I need to be sure. :smile:

2. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Nice shots Joe...
    I've been thinking about this lens, and decided I didn't need to spend the $$$ right now. Then you post this.:actions1:

Then again, it's probably has more to do with the photographer than the lens.
    Images look impressive, IMHO.

3. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    I'm glad you are happy with the lens, I just got the 105 micro but only done
    test shots..............nice series of pictures, good looking boy.

Phil..............:smile:

4. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Congratulations! That's a sweet lens for true.

5. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Congrats! Nice shots. Lens focus looks pretty very good as is. Exif doesn't show that AF adjustment was applied in the D700.

I have the very similar 135 DC and love it. I really appreciate the old-style manufacture and design. And f/2 is always a sweet treat. :wink:

6. Good luck Joe. Those are beautiful shots.

I went though a couple of the 105 and 135 on my D300. But they were FF quite severe. I simply gave up and returned them. They are quite notorious in this regard. Check over carefully.

mike

7. Well thank you buddy, appreciate the comments.

Thanks Phil, appreciate it. The 105 micro is an excellent lens, enjoy.

Thanks Holmes, so far I'm liking it.

Hi Tosh. No AF adjustments on these. Doing some testing now.

Hi Mike. Thanks for the kind words. Still testing the AF.

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

nice Joe, congrats!

lovely lens and rendering from the 700...whata freaky camera!
    ;-)))

9. Wow!

Those are superb results, great lens. Nice start Joe.

10. Joe,
    looks like you got a great sample.....adorable son....
    On the fx sensor I prefer the 105 to the 85....

11. Joe, first off congrats on the new lens, and what a cute boy.

Now will be interesting to see if you can spot the diffrence in color and overall characther between the 85/1,4 and the 105/2 DC, i suspect you already do, since you decided to get one. .-)

Kindest

12. Hey Nute. You now know first hand how terrific the D700 can be with good glass. :smile:

Thanks Dude. Appreciate the comments.

Hi Michael. I'm with you there. The 105 perspective on FX allows a tighter shot which I prefer.

Thanks Paul. When I commented on color I was actually thinking about your comments in another thread and this is probably the first time I've noticed a significant difference between similar lenses. If someone asked which lens I prefer between the 85 and 105, 90% of the discussion would be about the character/color of each lens and only 10% about "physical" difference.

I appreciate the insight you add about lenses beyond focal length since I'm admittedly a newbie when it comes to looking at the nuances of lenses.

Only problem is I'm now suffering from ZAS. Zeiss Acquisition Syndrome. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.