105 F2 DC worked out its magic :)

Hi there

just a sample of what this lens can do... using in-camera fill-flash.

Original lady 1
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Defocus effect 1 - tighter - F2 DC set Rear 5.6

Defocus effect 2 - a slightly wider shot - F2 DC set Rear 5.6

Original lady 2

Reworked lady 2 -always f2 DC set rear 5.6

Plus all the rest here...
http://italy74.smugmug.com/gallery/1158478/218#P-14-15

Enjoy!

Dino,

Italian ancestors and more. I was born in Mendicino, Cozena, in Calabria. I was 1 year old when with my father we came to the states.

Z

ZBaum

Nice shots, and a good display of the soft-focus effect that can be obtained. I love my 135mm f/2 DC, and I can see that your 105 is no different in terms of IQ.

Dino,
I absolutely adore Italy!
Italian food, clothes, women :rolleyes:, Ferrari, Juventus, Barolo... many things!... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I've been in Italy many times and I will come back again and again as a good neighbour that I am. :smile:
Now about the pictures... Well, I said it before, I will risk telling again: IMHO it would be better to stop bothering about the !£$%^ DC feature and just get advantage of the GREAT image quality that this lens can deliver. I have seen quite a lot 105/135 DC owners that keep testing/learning/messing around with the DC ring instead of just shooting great portraits. Don't become one of them Dino.
Oh, one more thing: avoid in-camera fill flash for portraits, it makes everything flat.
I send you all my love from melting Athens :890:
If you manage to find for me a bottle of 1983 Barolo I would be sooo grateful :wink:

For Jordan..

Hi Jordan
only one thing we HAVEN'T in common... Juventus! I personally have some bad memory of that team and if you didn't knew, last year they were degraded to B-football series due to a (finally admitted) series of abuses by their managers who literally managed the whole A-series for several years. The Juve I loved disappeared in the first '90s, as my beloved Inter with its last UEFA cup and some more until 2002, year in which I stopped watching football at all, except our national team. This year Inter got its 15th championship, but of course, being Juventus, Lazio and Milan demoted in different ways, there were no real competitors for it, except Roma who was 2nd place with 22 points less.
Coming back to your question, yes, that's right but, as a baby, I can't stop wondering about how this lens works and.. unfortunately.. I can't afford any beautiful italian (or else) model, YET! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
For the fill-in, I just had that one (I was VERY light) and besides I was in the shade for the frame I wanted to take.. I was just there to give to the first lady a slide I took her one month and half ago. Since she lives quite far on the parmesan apennin, the first time I went there With the D200, 17-35 and 105 F2 I wanted to leave her a good memory. In fact, due to a mistake, the slide was quite dark, so I proposed her to retry. I'm sure she has never had a shot like that. She lives in a very small town (1,000 inhabitants more or less) and despite her age (she's almost 80), she still owns and works in the local hardware store. Mountain air keep people very well "conserved", isn't she?
She's also quite smart in talking, not "slow" or "fuzzy" how you could expect from that age these days with Alzheimer... Notice (you can't see it there) she still weared sunglasses in another shot... She found herself better (I preferred her without, though)..
Don't think I'm forgetting Barolo... do you think to taste it with your famous pork "Arista"? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Let me see what can I do for you... :wink:

Hi Jordan
only one thing we HAVEN'T in common... Juventus!
In fact I stopped liking Juventus too since they won poor Olimpiakos by 7-0 in Champions League. I believe that a much better team should never raise the score over 4-5 goals against a weak one. And they also forgot that it was Olimpiakos that made them qualify for the next round the year before.

...year in which I stopped watching football at all, except our national team.
Ahh... the National team. Yours is the best one of course. But we are still European Champions too!:eek::eek: :710:I don't know how it happened in 2004, but it did!!! I believe dear God wanted to laugh for a change.:505: It has been said to be the absolute biggest surprise in National teams football ever!

She lives in a very small town (1,000 inhabitants more or less) and despite her age (she's almost 80), she still owns and works in the local hardware store. Mountain air keep people very well "conserved", isn't she?
Oh, she is! She also must have been quite a beautiful woman in her youth!

Don't think I'm forgetting Barolo... do you think to taste it with your famous pork "Arista"? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Let me see what can I do for you... :wink:
1983 Barolo would be very difficult to find and very expensive to buy, but thank you anyway. When I come to Italy again you can offer me a nice spagetti and an espresso instead :biggrin:
Which city you live in?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom