1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

105 VR for portraits

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by commtrd, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I have been working on convincing myself how much I need the 85 f1.4 lens and thought it would be interesting to get some comparison shots from the 105 VR macro lens if someone has some they would like to share.

Here is one to start with.

http://commtrd.smugmug.com/photos/366406587_9H73o-X3.jpg

2. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    It is out of focus... :eek: 

3. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Its still a great shot. Think about fashion, focus is optional:smile:. Iv got the the 105 F4 AIS and the 105 1.8 AIS and while the F4 is a usable for people captures the fast 1,8 gives isolation options that the f4 can only dream of.

Gregory

4. I agree. That's pretty much a fatal flaw for a portrait.

Pbase has almost 10,000 samples of the 105VR, and some of them are even in focus.

5. out of focus

Yes I know the focus is not perfect...I was engrossed in shooting bees flying around flowers and a couple walked up behind me with this boy to see what I was doing and the shot was there right then so I manually focussed as quick as possible and needed to take more time oh well...I guess the shot means something to me because the little guy was super friendly and inquisitive about photography and that is what I remember. Sorry for you perfectionists out there.

6. critique

It is a good thing to have accurate criticism of photos...if the site were such that mediocre work was praised then it would not be conducive to photographers learning from their mistakes.

7. I use the 105 VR for people photos. Man-o-man, it's awesome for portrait work.
    I have owned and sold 3 of the 85 1.4's, that lens just does not make me as giddy as it does others.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    This has been gone over before, I know because I posted in the thread, comparing the 105 to the 85. I'm on the road and have limited internet access But try searching for it, I think there were more examples in it. Here are the two images I posted before, luckily they were still online as I would not have been able to upload them until later in the week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.