105mm 2.8 Ai-s Micro-Nikkor

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bvonarx, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Any thoughts on the performance and practicality of this lens when used with a D200? Just getting into macro style work and already have a 50mm. What would be a reasonable price for a good specimen and what do I need to know in order to make a good decision?
    Many thanks
    Bvonarx

2. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    I shot this lens on D2x and D200, nice, sharp, good color. The only serious con' is only 1/2 life size. You need PN-11 to get 1:1.
    I'd better go for 105/2.8 AF.

3. You need to be aware that, unlike most of the AF macro lenses, the AIS 105 does NOT reach 1:1 unassisted. However, it's an excellent optic that's available for peanuts. KEH has them for $200+.

4. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Reviews indicate the AIS 105/2.8 micro is incredibly sharp at far and medium distances, dropping to excellent at close range - although it picks up when stopped down. Given that distance shots often require wide apertures, and macro work usually needs stopping down for enough DOF, this is actually a good compromise. As others have mentioned, this lens only goes to 1:2, so this is a great lens for detail shots, large insects and flowers etc. If you want to photograph really small flowers and bugs the AF 105/2.8 is a better option since it goes directly to 1:1.

5. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    I have had my MF105 f2.8 for close to 25 years, and although I may eventually invest in the new AF or the VR model, I won't part with the AIS.
    It's a pleasure to use and I'm very pleased with the results. These are built like tanks and as mentioned, they are available inexpensively. Be picky...look around. Get one with tight but smooth focus, and one that has been seldom used...no brassing. Always check the glass for scuffs etc.
    All the flowers in my flora gallery were taken with this lens.
    Good luck with your search. If I see a good one I'll PM you.:smile:

large.

6. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

The Micro Nikkor 105 ais was for me for many years one of my favourite. Last year I was lucky and become the VR for my birthday. But when I was not so lucky I can still live with the ais! Great lens and the best Nikon ever made.