1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

105mm VR is a winner!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by MrSLR, Aug 17, 2009.

1. MrSLR

MrSLR

Jan 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    This Saturday I met up with a NikonCafe member Fitzz47 to trade my 80-200mm for his 105mm VR (Wife accompanied with me as well). We met at the Gaps Diner in Lancaster, PA. Had a blast, checked out the lenses, hung out for awhile and enjoyed the area. Got to see a few horse and buggies (Amish people). Jims a cool guy, and has a cool wife as well so dont be afraid to do business with him on the FS forum :)  .

This 105VR lense is great, extremely sharp at every aperature. If your not doing macros, turn the selector from "Full" to "infinity to 0.5mm"

Autofocus is extremely fast (talking about with selector Not on "Full" but if on full its not slow but if it needs to search it will go all the way around its focusing range)

It makes a perfect Portrait lense, bokeh is great and allows you to get close if you want some really close eye shots.

Macro is something ive never messed with before and even with VR it doesnt help because even with the slightest movement in your hands your focus is shot. Even F8 doesnt do much, definately investing in a new tripod and a focus rail as im loving macro work.

Build quality: This lense approches 2 pounds I believe its 26 ounces if im correct, not very long lense but is a fat one. Comfortable to hold all day though, I used it at my Cousins Bday party as my 2nd lense alongside my 50mm 1.8. This lense feels all metal, I believe the outside is aluminum (correct me if im wrong)

This lense actually does great for events, i used it mostly at 2.8-5.6 aperature for the event and has no autofocus issued, it locked on great. This lense makes great for Events, portraiture, macros, and general use.

Anyone considering a multi use lense in this range, Consider it, definately..

Here are two photos I took quick. First one is my Wife and next is a flower outside. first macro pic btw (the flower)

D700 took all these pics btw.

Aperature 3.0/ SS 1/125/ ISO 280. Straight out of camera JPG. (focus was her eyes)

DSC_5639.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Aperature 8.0/ SS 1/125/ ISO 560

DSC_5660.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
  2. Amazing clarity in those eyes.

3. MrSLR

MrSLR

Jan 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Thats what shocked me first, eye sharpness has been a pet peave with me.. Ive always been that way. I was pretty close to her in this photo. We were eating at wendys due to long ride home and i said let me take a pic, she smiled and i fired away. Man did i get a lot of looks at wendys by random people.. Fortunately she wasnt eating at that time, i caught her before hand or else this lense may of shown more lol.

My 24mm 2.8 just arrived at my job as well from USPS (bought one from another member here)

4. The 80-200 That I got,isn't to shabby either,Very nice young couple,I wish them the Best.
    DSC_3058.jpg

DSC_3062.jpg

DSC_3066.gif

View attachment 399379

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  5. MrSLR

MrSLR

Jan 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Hope you enjoy the lense :smile: Cant wait to see your pics to.

Thanks for compliments :biggrin:

6. I love mine as well! Glad your enjoying yours. Nothing beats having macro focus range in a super sharp all-purpose prime!

7. MrSLR

MrSLR

Jan 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I agree Dom :) 

Great pics Jim, the 80-200mm lense definately does great in your hands :) 

8. LSSE

LSSE Guest

nice. I have a question about it since I see you took some potrait shots. since this lens is a micro nikkor, I know the f# changes with the focus distance, at least according to ken rockwell's tables. IIRC, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, the farther away you focus the f# gets larger and increases the DOF. So for the distances involved in portraits both face and half body, does it manage to have a dof thin enough to render backgrounds out of focus in a pleasing way?

thanks.

9. +1, i love my 105vr, nice shots.

10. MrSLR

MrSLR

Jan 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Your correct, at infinity to 10ft marker it stays at F2.8.. 5 feet to 2ish feet is F3.. 2ish feet to about 1 1/2 feet is F3.3.. under that it goes near macro range which goes from F3.5 and up to F4.8 at 1:1 lifesize.. but at most portrait ranges its F3.3 and under, usually seems to be at F3.0 where i shoot.. The backround seperation is amazing at F5.6 and that says a lot. I compare it to around what my 80-200mm did at 150-200mm.. The bokeh is amazing. Half body shots to head shots kills the backround at even F5, its nuts.. Ill get some portraits for you this week of my Wife or Sister to show you how it looks :biggrin:

Thank you :smile: Ive always enjoyed viewing your portraits with the 105mm

11. LSSE

LSSE Guest

that would be nice. thanks. I just realize I had it backwards. @ infinity it is f2.8. for some reason I thought at infinity it was F5....not sure why. must be the hour lol. I keep kicking myself for not picking this up before the price hikes....arg.

12. MrSLR

MrSLR

Jan 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    No problem :smile: I wish it was 2.8 all the way through but Its cool, FX makes DOF more of my style anyways. Lol i hear ya on the hour, im tired, all this overtime is crushing my sleep schedule but fueling my lense money.

Actually I think someone is selling one on the FS forum, actually they are for $775 dollars.. It isnt sold yet :smile:

13. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I got one of these recently from another list member, too. Great lens. I've been working on trying to catch some decent hummingbird shots with it, as we have a feeder that is just outside our kitchen window. Here's a couple from my attempts so far:

DSC_2442_black-chinned-male_web.jpg

DSC_2548_Rufous-subadult-male_web.jpg

14. MrSLR

MrSLR

Jan 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Wileec

Those are great shots, I wish I had some hummingbirds come by my house.

15. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Thanks. I'm shooting through double pane glass, but with the tripod set up in the kitchen sink, it puts the feeder about eighteen inches away. I've tried capturing with a variety of lenses, but this was the perfect fit - most others I'm having to crop the shot too much in post to get the desired composition. The challenge now, among getting the DOF and fast enough SS (I shoot these in manual mode to have the control I want), is that the birds are larger than life, but it's cool to see them in such detail. My wife loves their eyes. My goal is get good shots of both genders of mature and immature birds and of all three or four varieties we've observed at the feeder. It's a fun challenge, especially the DOF and SS dance. I know some shoot hummers with flash, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

16. At normal distances, a macro lens wil behave just like any other lens as far as depth of field and aperture. When you start getting into real close distances, it behaves like you put an extension ring on your lens and starts to reduce maximum aperture. It works much better than say a normal lens with a PN-11, since it will stay sharper and it will reduce aperture gradually, not all at once.

17. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Yeah, the big plus on a macro designed lens is the MFD designed into the lens. I've use extension tubes on a variety of lenses before I had this lens and the challenge is that DOF becomes so very narrow with other lenses, at close distances compared to this lens. So, I feel I've gained the ability to have some DOF with live subjects, and compose the shot I want in the camera. With extension tubes I could get the composition, but not the DOF I wanted, or when I had acceptable (to me) DOF, I had greater working distance and therefore not the composition I wanted without cropping in post. As I try to grow as a photographer, I'm aiming to compose in the camera as much as possible and learn to see things in the viewfinder, not just in the capture once it's on my computer screen.

18. Alright Josh! Welcome to the 105VR fan club. I am a huge fan!!!:m08:

19. mrluilou

mrluilou

Feb 15, 2009
    California
    great portrait of your wife ! she has really nice eyes

20. Put up a feeder. You will be suprised.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.