10U Girls Softball D300 Photos

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by gnagel, Jul 17, 2008.

1. I captured a few photos of my niece's 10U girls softball game last night with my D300 and 300 f/2.8 lens. EXIF information is embedded within each image.

As always, comments are welcomed and appreciated.

#1: The swing
    p312973138-5.

#2: The catcher (on a 90 degree plus day!)
    p476042138-5.

#3: The shortstop
    p116934111-5.

#4: The hitter
    p9083962-5.

#5: The runner
    p346521605-5.

#6: The third baseman
    p452371863-5.

#7: The pitcher
    p422896497-5.

#8: Extra bases
    p523759923-5.

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

2. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Glenn

These are great looking shots!

Any cropping or were you able to position yourself to fill the frame as displayed?

Thanks for posting!

3. Thanks Dennis...

Most shots required some cropping...but not a tremendous amount. I was using the 300 2.8 from just past first base for most of the images.

Glenn

4. Glenn,

These are outstanding. The faces are nicely exposed even with the helmet & cage. I've got to get me one of those 300mms!

Great job.

Take care,
    Brent

5. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Glenn, great shots, they really show your skills.

What settings do you use to avoid blowing out the reds? Custom WB? I borrowed a D300 a few weeks ago, and everything looked great but the reds. In searching over on the D300 forum, there is a long discussion specifically about reds...

6. Nice work, my only nits would be to show the fielders in action, like the batters and pitchers. Spot metering to bring out those faces?

7. Nice job on these, Glenn. You'r really making that lens sing.

Great job getting under the helmet with these and properly exposing the faces.

8. Thanks Brent...the 300mm sure makes life a lot easier!

9. Thanks!

The reds do present a problem with the D300. If the reds are getting blown, I switch to Neutral Picture Control in Capture NX. Or, I reduce the saturation of just the red channel. It seemed to work for the shots of the girls.

Glenn

10. Thanks...

I definitely need to practice more to get action shots. The action in these games is very unpredictable. With the 300mm, I'm almost too close to the action unless it happens to land in a specific part of the infield away from where I'm set up.

Glenn

11. Thanks Mitchell...

The sun kept popping in and out of the clouds. The cloud cover helped keep the faces exposed properly.

Glenn

12. MFowler

MFowler

Apr 18, 2008
    Texas
    I totally agree with Brent, your pictures are gorgeous and I would love to get my hands on one of those 300mm 2.8's!

13. Thanks Matt!

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent photography Glenn, you nailed this series. It's too bad the backstop didn't have a screen to block the vehicles in the parking lot. I really appreciate the image of the catcher, she really earned her Dairy Queen ice cream cone!

15. Frank,

Thanks for commenting. I couldn't agree more about the backstop. If I shoot there again, I should bring my own tarp!

Glenn

16. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Despite the backdrop these are excellent images Glenn.

You did a great job with the changing and challenging conditions.

17. Thanks Rod...

I'm really enjoying sports photography. I'm looking forward to getting out there again soon.

Glenn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.