10U Girls Softball D300 Photos

I captured a few photos of my niece's 10U girls softball game last night with my D300 and 300 f/2.8 lens. EXIF information is embedded within each image.

As always, comments are welcomed and appreciated.

#1: The swing
p312973138-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2: The catcher (on a 90 degree plus day!)
p476042138-5.jpg

#3: The shortstop
p116934111-5.jpg

#4: The hitter
p9083962-5.jpg

#5: The runner
p346521605-5.jpg

#6: The third baseman
p452371863-5.jpg

#7: The pitcher
p422896497-5.jpg

#8: Extra bases
p523759923-5.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Glenn

These are great looking shots!

Any cropping or were you able to position yourself to fill the frame as displayed?

Thanks for posting!

Glenn, great shots, they really show your skills.

What settings do you use to avoid blowing out the reds? Custom WB? I borrowed a D300 a few weeks ago, and everything looked great but the reds. In searching over on the D300 forum, there is a long discussion specifically about reds...

Glenn, great shots, they really show your skills.

What settings do you use to avoid blowing out the reds? Custom WB? I borrowed a D300 a few weeks ago, and everything looked great but the reds. In searching over on the D300 forum, there is a long discussion specifically about reds...

Thanks!

The reds do present a problem with the D300. If the reds are getting blown, I switch to Neutral Picture Control in Capture NX. Or, I reduce the saturation of just the red channel. It seemed to work for the shots of the girls.

Glenn

Nice work, my only nits would be to show the fielders in action, like the batters and pitchers. Spot metering to bring out those faces?

Thanks...

I definitely need to practice more to get action shots. The action in these games is very unpredictable. With the 300mm, I'm almost too close to the action unless it happens to land in a specific part of the infield away from where I'm set up.

Glenn

Glenn,

These are outstanding. The faces are nicely exposed even with the helmet & cage. I've got to get me one of those 300mms!

Great job.

Take care,
Brent

I totally agree with Brent, your pictures are gorgeous and I would love to get my hands on one of those 300mm 2.8's!

Excellent photography Glenn, you nailed this series. It's too bad the backstop didn't have a screen to block the vehicles in the parking lot. I really appreciate the image of the catcher, she really earned her Dairy Queen ice cream cone!

Excellent photography Glenn, you nailed this series. It's too bad the backstop didn't have a screen to block the vehicles in the parking lot. I really appreciate the image of the catcher, she really earned her Dairy Queen ice cream cone!
Frank,

Thanks for commenting. I couldn't agree more about the backstop. If I shoot there again, I should bring my own tarp!

Glenn

Despite the backdrop these are excellent images Glenn.

You did a great job with the changing and challenging conditions.

Latest threads

Top Bottom