11-16mm doing Yosemite Pics Added

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by thrdprophet, Jul 27, 2008.

1. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    I've had my 11-16mm for 2 weeks now but never got to really test its capabilities until this weekend. For those who are considering the 11-16mm here is a few shots from Yosemite National Park.

If the photo's aren't any good blame me and not the lens. It is one fine lens. I really love the build quality.

1. Here's a fire that was just beginning at Midpines (30 miles from Yosemite) the next day this fire got soo out of control in Yosemite Valley it was almost completely dark during the day.

FireatMidpines.

2. Here's a popular photo place... Olmsted Point. Half Dome in the center

OlmstedPoint.

3. Here's a test on long exposure on this lens... I wanted to do a 2-3 hour exposure but my friend heard a bear... so I had to take my gear down... only had 40 mins on the shutter...

StarrySkiesaboveSaddlebagLake.

4. Here's a nice little stream along the trail.

StreamalongtheTrailtoMtConness.

5. Here's Tenyana Lake

TenyanaLakeYNP.

6. Here's the Midpine fire seen from Craneflat

SmokeyMid-PinefireseenfromYNP.

7. here's the sunsetting at Tolume Meadows. Lembert Dome in the middle of the pic.

SunsetatTolumeMeadowsYNP.

8. Waterfalls along the trail to Mt. Conness

WaterfallsalongtheTrail.

9. Alpine Lake and Mt. Dana in the background.

AlpineLakeandMtDana.

10. Hwy 140 entrance the "Arch"

TheArchatthe140Entrance.

11. Me at Olmsted Point

MeatOlmstedPoint.

12. Me and my buddy at the snowfield before Mt. Conness

MeandWIllyataSnowfieldbeforeMtConne.

Hoped you enjoyed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  2. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Very nice.

3. Westvleteren

Westvleteren Guest

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing :smile:

4. Nice! I really like the stream shot. I bought a 11-16 last week and hopefully it's in the mail on Monday. I expect to be a wide angle junkie for at least the rest of the summer. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

5. i like this series
    thanks for sharing them with us

6. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice work, I particually like the star trail

7. Nice series- thanks for sharing.

8. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    how do you do a 2 - 3 hr exposure?? where can you set that on the camera?

p.s. I loved the photos. I have one but can never seem to get beautiful photos like yours. I think it's me.

9. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    #6 looks rectilinear. Is this a rectilinear lens or did you correct for it later in something like NX?

10. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Thanks all for the kind compliments.

Hey Ted, glad you liked those shots. I brought 3 lenses on the trip with me. And 90% of the time I only used my 11-16 and I did not miss anything from 12mm to 300mm. You will be a wide junkie for sure and not just this summer only.

In order for you do long exposures >30 secs you will need an extra accessory. A remote release cable with a "lock" button. In the camera you'll have to shoot in "M" set to bulb and have your cable release set to "lock" click the shutter on the cable release and that will hold the shutter for has long as you like until you depress the lock button or the battery runs out... I really wished I could have did a 2-3 hour exposure... we camped out above 10,000 ft.. and there were millions of stars.

11. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Very nice shots of one place I've always wanted to see. Thanks for posting.

12. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Very nice series. Thanks for sharing.

13. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    These pictures are from different parts of the park than what I have seen...they make me want to visit again!

Thanks for sharing!

14. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    The 11-16 should be a rectilinear lens. All my shot had no PP. All the shots were shot at 11mm. Some had slight level adjustment but that was it. I just like shots out of the box the way it is.

15. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Thanks for the reminders. Hope the fires don't get too bad..... seemed pretty awful on Nightly News. Love the view from Sentinel Dome. Have to go back and do a panorama there.

16. Really like the 2nd to last.

17. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    thrdprophet thanks for letting me know! i will explore with my current set up and see if i can do that. right now, for example, the camera isn't letting me do mirror lock up. this happened to me once before but i can't remember what i did to make it work. problems problems!!

i want to try long exposures too. at least just once!

k

18. The Tokina 11-16mm is definitely a rectilinear lens.

19. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    If you come down let me know, Yosemite is like home away from home for me.

Yosemite is pretty big, I like the high country along HWY 120 better than the valley which most folks vistor goto. If I had all the time in the world I'd do the John Muir Trail which is over 230 miles long.

The fires as of right now is only 10% contained and doesn't look like its going to be contained anytime soon. There hasn't been a fire there in 100 years and in 100 years you can grow a lot of fuel. A lot of homes and structures are already burnt to a crisp and Yosemite's power has been cutt off. Glad we made it out before it got even worse. Pray for those than are in the area.

20. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    You were lucky to get such nice blue sky shots with the size of the fire. Very good job. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.