1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

11 pelicans found with wings intentionally broken

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaliShutterbug, Sep 20, 2008.

1. From the Orange County Register - SoCal

Friday, September 19, 2008
    11 pelicans found with wings intentionally broken
    All but one of the birds, found at Bolsa Chica State Beach, are dead as authorities search for whoever harmed them.
    By PAT BRENNAN

HUNTINGTON BEACH – Eleven pelicans whose wings were intentionally broken have been found this week at Bolsa Chica State Beach, and as the sole survivor struggled for life this morning, a bird rescue group offered a $5,000 reward for information.

Seven of the birds have been found dead since Monday; four others were captured alive, but three had to be euthanized because of the severity of their injuries, said Debbie McGuire, wildlife director at the Wetlands and Wildlife Care Center in Huntington Beach.

"Whoever injured the animals did definitely break the wings in the same type of way," McGuire said. "We would hope that whoever is doing it is done, but it's hard to say."

The Care Center is offering $5,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of whoever injured the animals, and McGuire said U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials are investigating.

The surviving bird, a female, was being cared for at the center this morning. McGuire said it had been uncertain Thursday whether the bird would survive the night.

More Information & photos can be found here: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mcguire-whoever-center-2162975-wildlife-beach

This is just saddening, maddening, disgusting, irritating... there are so many other adjectives that fit so well into what I feel after reading this article... I do hope the Fish & Wildlife Service finds the culprit behind this horrible cruelty.

2. GAH! This kind of thing makes me so angry I shake.

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I believe in Karma.

4. Me too, but it doesn't make me any less sad or angry about what happened. :frown:

5. Unfortunately a little vigilante justice is out of the question... but I also do believe in Karma & hope for it.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Kim :

Argh. What in the heck in going through these people's minds ? :mad: 

John P.

7. That is the million dollar question!!!!:confused: 

8. Probably 20 years ago but I recall stopping for fuel at a large gas station/ rest area. There was a pond and swans were lazily swimming around. As we pulled out I noticed three younger males (late teens) throwing rocks at the swans. Cobbles is more of an accurate description. One of the rocks hit the side of one swan and you could tell the blow would have broken the wing. I felt bad about not doing anything but my family was with me and I was out numbered. In future I would dial 911 and get these guys a much needed tune up.........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

9. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

That is just awful!! What is wrong with people!

10. It seems every week there's a story about drowned kittens, abandoned dogs, etc. I can't fathom the thoughts that would compel someone to do that....

Sean

11. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Pelicans are my FAVORITE bird! That is just wrong. What a jerk to do something like that.

12. It might be an old-fashioned idea.................. eye for an eye?!?

13. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

ill never forget i was a 4th grader and one of my friends billy something would brag how he and his brother would grab kittens and litterly twist their heads off.i wish i had the courage and the werewithall to twist his firkin head off.
    i can only hope that fool is in sing sing or hell.

14. DoJC

DoJC

Feb 14, 2008
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    From someone who shoots at Bolsa Chica 4-5 times a week this is hard to take. The pelicans here are quite gentle, and are a blast to watch. For someone to maliciously go around breaking wings like that would take a personality borderline psychotic. I hope they catch this person(s) quickly and put them away for a LONG time.

15. sick. too bad I couldn't post 'sick' without opening the thread. Title alone was enough to see.
    glenn

16. People are so warped... I have watched too much Animal Cops on Animal Planet & it's soo disheartening what they show.

I can't agree more! But I think it's more like an arm for arm/wing in this case...

I have yet to get up to Bolsa Chica. Pelicans are so calm & gentle as you said that it's scary to think that someone would do this. I know there are many from the Cafe that are in the area & familiar with Bolsa Chica that would love to find the perpetrators. I am hoping to see follow up stories soon that they found person(s) for justice.

To everyone else that I may have not quoted we all together can't agree more that justice needs to be served & unfortunately eye for an eye/arm for a wing is out of the question and that this is just "SICK".

17. thats absolutely disgusting. I've never seen a pelican in person, but I had no idea that you would be able to get so close to one?

18. DoJC

DoJC

Feb 14, 2008
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Summit,

The pelicans are quite intelligent, and know humans aren't, up until this article, much of a threat. You can walk right up to them when they land on the railing of the bridge and pet some of them.

You owe it to yourself to see them in person and watch how they go about feeding themselves and interacting with people. It's an experience worth having!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.