12-24mm Micro-Nikkor....say what.......

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Vernon t, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Kenko extension tubes looking for a meaningful relationship with a lens.

The classic question..."I can, but should I?".

Here's something you don't see every day.
    12-24 Micro-Nikkor shots. :p

original.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Vernon,

Questions about extension tubes.

How much do they decrease the minimum focus distance for a given lens?

Do they interfere with metering?

Are the Kenko tubes fully compatible with Nikon lenses?

Thanks for your help,

4. The tubes are an economical addition to your bag.
    Before you believe anything I say, let me tell you I'm an extension tube novice. Experience of others is welcomed.

On primes they mostly just let you focus closer, such as with my 85.

On zooms they exhibit a very different behavior. Your zoom ring becomes your focus mechanism with your focus ring becoming fine tuning. I suspect the zoom+focus translates to something analogous to the defocus control on DC lenses. Help me here somebody.
    On the 12-24 the thinnest ring, 12mm, caused the working distance to be about 1/2 inch...almost useless.
    On my 10.5 the focal distance is somewhere behind the front element...don't bother.
    On a Micro-Nikkor is simply lets you focus closer than ever.
    On longer lenses...70-200 or 300f4 the rings shine.
    On my 300f4 (the lens I bought them for) they let my focal distance be from about 20 inches out to 8 feet from the front element...just perfect I hope.

Again...I'm a neophyte here....real experience would be most enlightening.

5. Oh. they maintain full function. VR included.
    Metering, max aperture unaffected it seems...except on micros max aperture is less in close...I'd expect the same.

Here's the 85f1.4

Tiny hypodermic needles in the doctors lounge by a window.....pretty impressive. Way way closer the my 105-micro would do.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Very sharp too!

(har har har.)

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Amazing!

I've got these ext tubes. Which one, or combo of them did you use for the hypos shot? That is so amazing!! What gauge needles were they?

8. Vernon,

Thanks for the information. I've looked at the tubes but couldn't guess which lens they would work the best with. Your analysis really helped.

9. Hi Vernon!
    These close-us are amazing.
    Isn't it funny what you can do with the 12-24? I once used it with the 500D - the tunnel view this combo provides requires getting used to.

BTW - this week I joined my wife when she visited the gyn. Funny to watch her doing all the biometric stuff on the embryo.
    Cheers

10. Re: Amazing!

needles 18 and 16 ga.

85mm 1.4
    All three tubes at once, going for max mag.
    f7.1 1/2 sec.
    self timer and mirror delay on

D2X sitting on a desk in L&D ( me bored, fetus stubborn). Nurses pretty sure I'm loony. Expectant dad watching, fascinated with loony doctor's obsession.
    Front of lens propped on 3 lens caps to get height just right.
    Nice window light.

Thanks.

11. Those are very interesting. Exactly which Kenko tubes do you have?

I have lenses such as the 35 f2, 50 1.4, 17-55, 85 1.4, 70-200...

Ed