1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

12 little girls in one photo....

Discussion in 'People' started by leahp26, Jul 27, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I was inspired by Dave Dickerson in this post (Dave x 3 mowing the lawn):
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=1920374#post1920374

to try to do something similar (My husband x 6)
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=178074

and had so much fun that I convinced my friends to let me borrow their kids to try it again today!

Here's the 3 year old x 12:

p415172732-4.
    NIKON D300    ---    55mm    f/9.0    1/200s    ISO 800

And the baby:

p138120473-4.
    NIKON D300    ---    55mm    f/9.0    1/200s    ISO 800

I'm not convinced I chose the best location or lens 17-55 (or maybe I just didn't use it as best I could have done) - any suggestions for next time?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I've done this many times. This is always fun. THanks for sharing.

3. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thanks Seneca - I'm so impressed with the fact that I finally figure out masks (I am such a PS idiot) that I want to play around with this kind of stuff now! I think I need to put more thought into placement of my subject (s).

Thanks for looking!

4. I enjoy these Leah. :smile: The only thing I would recommend is that you get a little closer to your subject. Here is mine from a senior photo session last night with the subject taking up more of the frame. What I enjoy about yours is the non-posed "Family Circle" journey. Great stuff...

2708109909_9cd296c96a_o.
    NIKON D3    ---    56mm    f/13.0    1/40s    ISO 3200

5. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Wow - Anthony, this is great - thank you for posting this. I love the contrast of the blue. And you are totally right about needing to be closer. I think I was worried that if I got too close that there wouldn't be enough room get her in - your image shows me not to worry!

I've been trying different ways of doing this - right now I use the marquee tool to select an area around the subject, I copy and then paste (in a new layer) onto the "background" image I have chosen to be the "master". I then add a layer mask and paint around the edges of the subject. Then flatten and repeat. It's a lot quicker than my previous attempts with the eraser tool - how do you do yours?

6. Thanks Leah. Here is my method...

I open up all of the images first and pick one to be my main image... for whatever reason, I usually choose the one that has the subject in the center of the frame. I then select the first "clone" image and just drag the layer on to the main image. Usually, they will line up pretty close, but I always select Edit-Free Transform and adjust so that the new layer lines up with the base layer on the outside. I then reduce the opacity of the new layer to about 40% so that I can see through to the base layer and make sure they are exactly lined up. This is key to me to makesure that the shadows look correct. Once they are lined up, I increase the opacity back to 100%, select the eraser tool with a wide brush of 800+ and loosely erase around the person on the second layer. If you shoot in manual, with a tripod and remote trigger, you shouldn't have to erase too closely to the subject. I repeat for each layer and then flatten the image when done. The whole process usually takes me only about 10 minutes or less including final adjustments to the combined image.

By the way, you may want to crop your images above a little tighter to see what that looks like. I really do like yours better as far as the composition... just love capturing the movements of the child rather than being posed. But, I can't imagine trying to get a senior to be natural and run around doing different things! :biggrin:

7. Cute idea! I need to find a wide open space to do this with......

8. I had an amateur attempt at this at a wedding

3Samelgroup109.
    NIKON D80    ---    55mm    f/4.8    1/100s    ISO 1600

9. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    Ok - now I have to try this with my two kids!

Thanks for the info!

10. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    That's so much fun Leah!

11. Desmond, that is a really cool concept with the bride and groom forming a heart. I like it a lot!!! One thing that might make it look even better is to crop in just a bit closer and lose some of the lawn and a bit of the trees.

12. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Anthony - thank you for the info, some useful tips I will incorporate

Sonya - it's pretty fun! I'm no expert at this but it's a fun thing to try. I'm going to try to get closer in next time

Desmond - I REALLY like this! I love the heart shape idea.

Dave - post when you're done!

Linda - thank you!

13. Desmond - I remember seeing this before and loving it! I will be attempting this the next time I have a wedding.

14. When I looked at it again on this page I had the same thoughts - crop closer .
    There are other options to making a multi-exposure tell a bit of a story ... this is a bit of a rough edit .

MattRach3074079amulti_edited-1093.
    NIKON D80    ---    18mm    f/6.3    1/160s    ISO 100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.