12U baseball pitcher (3 photos)...

I found the conditions quite challenging at this game. In the early innings, the sun was setting just over the pitcher's left shoulder. By the third inning, the sun had set and the lighting was inadequate to stop the action enough to get sharp photos. White balance was also an issue. Finally, I had no choice but to shoot through a cyclone fence!

Anyway...here goes:

#1: 1/320th @ f/2.8, ISO 400, 70-200 2.8, D300
p149559543-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2: 1/1250th @ f/2.8, ISO 400, 70-200 2.8, D300
p522981362-5.jpg

#3: 1/320th @ f/2.8, ISO 1600, 300 2.8, D300
p504849130-5.jpg

I'm not very pleased with the sharpness of these photos--particularly the last one. But, under the circumstances, is there anything else I could have done to improve them?

Glenn

Glenn , the biggest problem appears to be shutter speed. I even shoot my little kids with a SS of at least 1000. Don't have a D300 so I am not familiar with how well it handles higher ISO's but maybe up the ISO to get faster shutter speed.

I know these are obvious things I am pointing out but just throwing it out there. Others around here will be more familiar with focusing and lockig focus with the D300.

These shots really aren't that bad though. Tough lighting for sure. I like cloudy days but sometimes it's just a too darned dark.

I think they aren;t so bad, actually #2 apppeals - never seen such lanky arms

I think you can go to iso3200 and the images will need a fair bit of PP but quite acceptable.

It's interesting to me that everyone's pushing the D300's where before you'd just not bothered to even shoot

And - you D3 owners, stop sniggering

Glenn , the biggest problem appears to be shutter speed. I even shoot my little kids with a SS of at least 1000. Don't have a D300 so I am not familiar with how well it handles higher ISO's but maybe up the ISO to get faster shutter speed.

I know these are obvious things I am pointing out but just throwing it out there. Others around here will be more familiar with focusing and lockig focus with the D300.

These shots really aren't that bad though. Tough lighting for sure. I like cloudy days but sometimes it's just a too darned dark.

Thanks for your input. The second shot is the only one with a shutter speed over 1/1000th. That one was captured in the beginning of the game. The game started at 8:00 pm.

Glenn

I think they aren;t so bad, actually #2 apppeals - never seen such lanky arms

I think you can go to iso3200 and the images will need a fair bit of PP but quite acceptable.

It's interesting to me that everyone's pushing the D300's where before you'd just not bothered to even shoot

And - you D3 owners, stop sniggering

I really need to try out the higher ISO setting more often. I rarely use anything over ISO 400, but I was forced to go to ISO 1600 during the game to get something even like the third shot I posted! I did apply some noise reduction in NX2 for that third shot, though.

Glenn

Latest threads

Top Bottom