12U Baseball Team Photo

This is one of three team photographs that I'm working on for my 12U travel baseball team. I'm envisioning this one as a cinema-style poster. The other two are intended to be banners. I'll share those once I'm done processing them.

I was a little nervous taking this on. I typically only shoot portraits once a year--and usually limit those to just one or two lights. For me, this was a major challenge as I typically shoot architecture, landscapes and nature. But, I had some willing subjects (my players), so I used that opportunity to play with the lights!

This was by far my most complicated lighting set up: Main Light (big softbox camera left); Rim Light (strip box camera left); Rim Light (strip box camera right); Hair light (SB-800 suspended by a bungee cord from the ceiling); Backlight (SB-900 fired into an umbrella to light the green screen); and a large reflector camera right.

For the players standing in the background, I moved the main light slightly behind the player (for a silhouette effect)...and turned off both rim lights.

I removed the roster (player names) from the poster for purposes of posting this here.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now, it's on to the next image...which will be the players in different poses in a stadium at night!

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Nice play on the title, and great effect with the hair and rim lights! Love the secondary background shot and lighting on that image.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Truly stunning, Glenn! I love the image in the background and the processing of the image in the foreground! Wonderful lighting, BTW! And all those eyes wide open!!!! AMAZING!

Thank you, Russ
This is so excellent! I trust the team will agree.
Thanks Andy...I hope they enjoy it as they were very patient during the photo sessions.
Truly stunning, Glenn! I love the image in the background and the processing of the image in the foreground! Wonderful lighting, BTW! And all those eyes wide open!!!! AMAZING!
Thank you, Karen...it took me a while to get a feeling for the lights. I seemed to get better at it as each player came in for his photo shoot. It would be nice to gain more experience with the lights without always using them during live shoots!
Superb! The families are sure to be happy with these.
Thanks Bill...I hope they enjoy it.

Glenn

Glenn, I know I posted on some of the other shots you posted of the team at the beginning of the season, but on to the important questions. How was the season?
Well, with all of the rain we've been getting (every day) in Chicago so far, the season has just begun. We are playing .500 ball so far through 10 games--but there's about 45 games to go.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom