135mm f/1.8E VR?

Oh, does Nikon now use F-mount lenses with an "E" designation?
Nikon says, "An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism is incorporated inside the body of lenses and controlled via electronic signals from the camera body. This permits incredibly accurate aperture control even during high-speed continuous shooting."
The first E lenses Nikon introduced were three tilt/shift perspective-control PC-E lenses in 2008: 24mm/f3.5, 45mm/f2.8, and 85mm/f2.8. Due to their tilt-shift nature, a mechanical aperture control was impossible.
Modern E lenses started in 2012 when Nikon introduced the 800mm/5.6 E AF-S VR, which is quickly followed by:
  • 400mm/f2.8, 500mm/f4, and 600mm/f4 E AF-S VR super teles
  • 300mm/f4 E PF AF-S VR PF.
  • 200-500mm/f5.6 E AF-S VR
  • 24-70mm/f2.8 E AF-S VR
  • 16-80mm/f2.8-4 E DX AF-S VR for Nikon’s APS-C format DSLRs.
The 300mm, 500mm, 600mm, 200-500mm, 24-70mm and 16-80mm are all introduced in 2015.
Based on Nikon's printed lens catalogue It appears the entire S-Line are also E lenses, even tough they may not have the "E" designation.

So, yes, Nikon has been innovative for quite a while.

In fact, Nikon has used the E designation before in AIS era. E series lenses were budget lenses.
That was a different use of the letter E: it was line of small, light weight and affordable lenses called the Nikon Series E lenses as alternative to budget conscious users and/or taking on third party independent lens producers. I had a 50, f/1.8. There were 7 or 8 lenses in total.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Nikon says, "An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism is incorporated inside the body of lenses and controlled via electronic signals from the camera body. This permits incredibly accurate aperture control even during high-speed continuous shooting."
The first E lenses Nikon introduced were three tilt/shift perspective-control PC-E lenses in 2008: 24mm/f3.5, 45mm/f2.8, and 85mm/f2.8. Due to their tilt-shift nature, a mechanical aperture control was impossible.
Modern E lenses started in 2012 when Nikon introduced the 800mm/5.6 E AF-S VR, which is quickly followed by:
  • 400mm/f2.8, 500mm/f4, and 600mm/f4 E AF-S VR super teles
  • 300mm/f4 E PF AF-S VR PF.
  • 200-500mm/f5.6 E AF-S VR
  • 24-70mm/f2.8 E AF-S VR
  • 16-80mm/f2.8-4 E DX AF-S VR for Nikon’s APS-C format DSLRs.
The 300mm, 500mm, 600mm, 200-500mm, 24-70mm and 16-80mm are all introduced in 2015.
Based on Nikon's printed lens catalogue It appears the entire S-Line are also E lenses, even tough they may not have the "E" designation.

So, yes, Nikon has been innovative for quite a while.
Don’t forget the current 70-200/2.8E.

Real Name
Andy
Oh, does Nikon now use F-mount lenses with an "E" designation? That is the part which threw me off, along with the reference to VR. Would this woman possibly be testing a new F-mount lens? Is she a "Nikon Ambassador" or whatever they're called? Why a new F-mount lens now? Shouldn't it be a lens meant for the Z mirrorless? It still seems to me that Nikon should be putting more of their focus towards building up their mirrorless lens collection as expeditiously as they can, as that will attract more users and buyers to their Z line. Yes, I realize that they also are still simultaneously trying to cater to the DSLR faithful, but that could be a grave error....
I have a 70-200mm f/2.8E (supersedes the 70-200mm f/2.8G VRII). There is also the wonderful 105mm f/1.4E. There are probably others that I can't think of right now.

ok, so the plot thickens, maybe?

I just posted an image shot with my 105 on the Z7ii to flickr, and the lens is listed as "105mm f/1.4E" in the EXIF - the E has never shown up before with shots posted on the D5 and D850, only as "105mm f/1.4".

So, I posted a shot taken on my Z7ii with my 135mm F/1.8 Art, the same lens that subject of the original post claimed that she used. On my image, it shows merely as, "135mm f/1.8E", but no VR...

Why I have this on my mind on Christmas Eve should be the subject of another post, or at least the subject of a future counceling session :LOL:

Real Name
Andy
ok, so the plot thickens, maybe?
After much experimentation, I switched from Lenstagger (a LR plug-in that allows you to modify EXIF data for unchipped/adapted lenses) to a program called SetEXIFData that does the same thing without requiring a file to be imported to LR. Along the way, I learned that a great deal of information is passed from lens to camera which can be interpreted by the camera and written to the EXIF data in unpredictable ways at the time of capture. Sometimes, this data appears in unexpected ways when viewed in preprocessing software, Flickr, and here on Nikon Cafe. I can’t say I fully understand everything that’s happening, but the camera body definitely knows if it has a fully electronic aperture lens attached as well as a lens that has optical stabilization.
Why I have this on my mind on Christmas Eve should be the subject of another post, or at least the subject of a future counceling session :LOL:
I suppose the same question applies to me. Maybe we can form a self-help group!

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom