135mm f/1.8E VR?

"VR" is Nikon-speak. Sony calls their version "OSS," or Optical Steady Shot" when it is on a lens and when stabilization is within the camera body, like other systems they refer to that as "IBIS," or "In-Body Image Stabilization." The 135mm f/1.8 is a gorgeous lens, but I'd use it only on a Sony body, for which it was specifically designed and made, rather than sticking it on any other camera brand and using an adapter.

Sony's 135mm f/1.8 FE is one of their fairly recent top-of-the-line GM lenses. Actually, I'm not sure if there is also an earlier version, an E-mount only (as opposed to being meant specifically for full-frame; E-mount lenses can be used by both FF and APS-C bodies within the full lineup, but the FE lenses are only for full-frame bodies. E-mount lenses are primarily used by Sony's line of APS-C camera bodies.) I just had a look at my own 135 f/1.8 GM FE and I notice that there is no indication that it has OSS, which I believe is normally marked on the lens. I think it usually is on the longer lenses in Sony's lineup, the long primes and the long zooms.

I know that VR is a Nikon term. That’s why I am questioning this. According to the EXIF on Flickr, this is a 135mm lens with VR on a D6

There is also a Sigma 135mm f/1.8 lens, one made for Nikon as well as Canon and Sony.... Maybe it is that lens she was using?

At this point in time, as far as we know there is no such lens made by Nikon with the particular description provided in the EXIF attached to that particular image, so something is strange here somewhere.... If all else fails I suppose one could send her a message on Flickr and inquire just what it is she was using.

Last edited:
Oh, does Nikon now use F-mount lenses with an "E" designation? That is the part which threw me off, along with the reference to VR. Would this woman possibly be testing a new F-mount lens? Is she a "Nikon Ambassador" or whatever they're called? Why a new F-mount lens now? Shouldn't it be a lens meant for the Z mirrorless? It still seems to me that Nikon should be putting more of their focus towards building up their mirrorless lens collection as expeditiously as they can, as that will attract more users and buyers to their Z line. Yes, I realize that they also are still simultaneously trying to cater to the DSLR faithful, but that could be a grave error....

I asked her, and she said it was shot with the Sigma 135 Art lens. I have the 135, and it's one of my favorite lenses, but it is never identified how this was identified in her image.

I asked her, and she said it was shot with the Sigma 135 Art lens. I have the 135, and it's one of my favorite lenses, but it is never identified how this was identified in her image.

If it was shot with the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, it would come up as something different on the EXIF. The only thing I could think of is that Sigma has to trick the camera into thinking it's a particular Nikon lens and focal length. It's possible Sigma hasn't updated the 135mm f/1.8 Art firmware to properly display as a Sigma lens for the D6 since it's fairly new. Either that or the photographer is under NDA from Nikon and she forgot to scrub the EXIF from her images when she uploaded them!

This is how the Sigma lens shows up on Flickr with the D850:
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 4.38.35 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Interesting.....hm... As has been mentioned earlier, too, does Sigma actually use the term "VR" and include that feature in their lenses? I've always associated "VR" specifically with Nikon. I don't use any Sigma lenses and have not for a long time so am unfamiliar with how they label their products.
No, Sigma does not use the term VR, and the 135/1.8 does not have stabilisation. I don't have new Sigma lenses for F mount but have several in L mount - 50/1.4, 105/2.8 macro and 100-400. These are excellent lenses.

If it was shot with the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, it would come up as something different on the EXIF. The only thing I could think of is that Sigma has to trick the camera into thinking it's a particular Nikon lens and focal length. It's possible Sigma hasn't updated the 135mm f/1.8 Art firmware to properly display as a Sigma lens for the D6 since it's fairly new. Either that or the photographer is under NDA from Nikon and she forgot to scrub the EXIF from her images when she uploaded them!

This is how the Sigma lens shows up on Flickr with the D850:
View attachment 1674722
That's interesting, because on my images with the D5 and D850, it only shows as "135.0 mm f/1.8"

https://flic.kr/p/2k4Kq2z
https://flic.kr/p/2jEH2Gf

From the looks of it, it might be an issue specific to the D6. For example another image I found shot with the D6 and a Sigma lens shows the Sigma 24-105mm f/4 Art coming up as a Nikon 24-105mm f/4 G VR:
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 5.23.17 PM.png

Here's how the EXIF look for other Nikon bodies:
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 5.15.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 5.17.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 5.18.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 5.19.08 PM.png

Real Name
Andrew
Oh, does Nikon now use F-mount lenses with an "E" designation?

yes, some of the newer Nikon lenses have a fully electronic aperture and they are designated with an E. For example the newest 70-300/4.5-5.6 is an E type lens with VR. The Nikon 300/4 PF is also an E type lens.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Is it possible this person is a Nikon Ambassador of some sort and has an advanced copy of a forthcoming 135/1.8E VR? Doesn't seem likely since I am sure Nikon would embargo all images until the lens is released. Just a thought.

Latest threads

Top Bottom