14-24 & 24-70 2.8 FX lenses on D300

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Bright Angel, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

I apologise in advance for these dumb questions.

I've currently got a D300 and a Tokina 12-24 and Tamron 17-50.
    But I'm not 100% happy with them, that includes the D300.

The 14-24 and 24-70 2.8 FX lenses, can be used on the D300.
    But what zoom range would you get when fitted to a DX camera ?
    Is a 14-24 range the same on a full frame camera as a DX camera i.e is the field of view the same or do you need to take into account the 1.5 crop factor ?

Basically, if I took a photo at 20mm with the D300 & 14-24 FX lens, then put on the Tokina @ 20mm, would the field of view be the same ?

2. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Same field of view... Yep. The image circle created by the 14-24 will be large enough to cover FX/Film whereas the Tokina will only cover DX. But focal length is focal length...No difference.

3. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you for the info and reply.

The reason I asked was, I seem to remember back in the early days of Digital.
    Lenses for digital were quoted with their zoom range as well as the equivalent 35mm zoom range.
    But as people got used to digital (DX) they stopped doing it.
    And with the new FX range, being the same/ near same as 35mm, they might have labelled the lenses the "old" way.

Anyway, sorry for being stupid :biggrin:
    Thanks again.

4. wait a minute, wont the field of view of the 14-24 on a DX be 21-26?? i understand that FX doesnt really "multiply" lens' focal lengths by 1.5 (you're actually just cropping the image in-camera), but your field of view DOES change, right?? im getting confused with all of the terminology nowadays...

5. btw, why are you unhappy with your D300 and those two lenses?? i hear only good things about them. not sure if getting the 14-24 and 24-70 will make your captures THAT much better. those latter 2 lenses deserve to be on a D700/D3.

6. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you Static808 for the extra info.

I'm unhappy with the D300 because I feel my copy is noisy even at ISO 200, which I use all the time.
    Since making the original post I've talked myself into wanting a D700 and the 24-70 FX lens.
    I can probably manage without the 12-24.

7. The field of view of a 12-24mm lens on a 1.5 crop body is 21-36. The field of view of a 20mm prime lens on a 1.5 crop body is 30mm. So if you set the focal length on the 12-24mm to 20mm on a crop body the field of view is 30mm.

The difference between a DX lens and a non DX lens is the opening on the back end of the lens that attaches to the camera. Some non DX lenses are actually better on a crop body because the vignetting on the edges that may appear on an FX body are much less if at all on a crop body.

The crop factor comes from the size of the sensor compared to a frame of film. The sensor (on a crop body) is 1.5 times smaller than an actual frame of film.

8. sorry about the typo in my original response. would be crazy if 14-24 FOV on a crop would indeed be 21-26!! hahaha, i meant 21-36...

9. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    Although I see the math mentioned that way a lot on the web, you cannot multiply something by 1.5 and get a smaller value. The Nikon DX crop body sensor sides are roughly 1/3 smaller or about 2/3rd of the size of the related side of a 35mm frame of film, not 1.5 times smaller. By multiplying 1.5 times the original DX horizontal or vertical side length you get roughly the 35mm length of the related side.

Thus, if you multiply 1.5 times the FX/35mm lens Field of View (FOV), you get the DX lens FOV. That is why the FOV of a 20mm lens on an DX body is said to give the FOV of a 30mm on a FX body. There is a very good explanation with a nice example image available at: http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/digital-crop-factor.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.