1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

14-24 and 24-70 on D300

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pazham, Jul 29, 2009.

1. pazham

pazham

Apr 3, 2009
    Chennai
    Hi All

I am planing to upgrade to FX in future. I have a D300 currently. I am planing to buy 14-24 and 24-70 lens for use with D300. After reading Ken Rockwell, he discourages the use of these lenses on a DX body.

Is anybody using these lenseswith a DX camera. Pleae post your comments, suggestions.

Rgds
    Arvind

2. don't listen to ken rockwell. buy what YOU want, not what some guy tells you not to get. if you plan on going FX, it would be a wise decision to get the 14-24/24-70. but get the 24-70 first, unless you shoot mainly wide angle shots.

3. I agreed with Johnny, although I do read Ken's site too though. 24-70 works great on the D300 as I have used it quite a bit. Ken's point is that you do pay a premium for it but if you need it and can pay for it, there is no reason not to get it.

It all depend what focal length works best for you and if you are willing to pay more for the newer and better FX lens.

4. pazham

pazham

Apr 3, 2009
    Chennai
    wow that was fast. I have 50mm and 70-200 with me currently. 24-70 seems to be out of stock in most places in US. I am planing to order 14-24 now for landscapes and 24-70 when it becomes available

5. ^good idea. 50mm should hold you off temporarily until the 24-70 becomes readily available.

i'm jealous of you getting the 14-24mm though. make sure you don't 'accidently' send it to my address, ok? :tongue:

6. chris197

chris197

Oct 27, 2008
    London UK
    I use the 24-70 with my D300. It makes for an excellent combination:cool: 

I was stunned by the results. Just go ahead and buy one.

7. nicktak

nicktak

Jul 30, 2006
    24-70 on D300 is just fine. It isn't quite as wide as I'd like sometimes, but it really is an exceptional lens that is sharp, quick to focus and renders beautifully. If you are planning to go FX then it would be a waste to buy anything else (ie 17-55 DX).

8. johan11

johan11

Jan 17, 2008
    seattle
    24-70 is great on a D200.

9. Hi.

Both lenses are great, on FX and DX. The 17-55 is a great lens on DX as well, but since you are planning to go FX, buying it would be stupid.

The 14-24 makes more sense on DX to me, but I don't like this really wide angle shots that much. Talking of iq, it's great. The only downside: it takes no filters.

If you can afford it, you will have no regrets buying and using these excellent lenses.

Regards

Mattes
    former 24-70 user

10. I'd rather have a 17-55 on DX. Just buy a used one and resell it when you go FX.

11. That is a great suggestion, totally agree. Edward just posted a very clean and well proven 17/55 on the for sale forum.

However I did use the 24-70 on a D300 and was very pleased with the set. Eather lens is a great choice.

12. LSSE

LSSE Guest

I've used the 14-24 in DX and I would not recommend it. Not because of any issues with the glass, but because it is a lot of $ to pay and weight to haul for a field of view you won't use unless you plan to upgrade to a full frame sensor at some point. There are smarter choices for the DX shooter

Get it if you want, but there are plenty of fine choices for winde angles in DX that makes such beastly lens needed only if you go full frame.

The 24-70 on the other hand is far more suited to both formats.

13. Rex K

Rex K

Apr 10, 2009
    Cozumel, Mexico
    I was at the same point you were a while ago. I was planning on upgrading my D200 to a FX and planned my lens purchases accordingly. The 14-24 and 24-70 are great lenses with both FX or DX cameras. If you are planning on moving to the FX sensor then I would highly recommend getting those two lenses instead of their DX equivalents.

14. The 24-70 I borrowed, is fantastic on a D90. I'm saving up for one. Some photogs just don't think much of the 24-70 range in general, but if you want one, the Nikkor is about as good as you can get in that range. My experience is that you need to actually use it at f/2.8 to see the benefits of this glass. I've tried, and it's hard to tell the difference between an 18-55 or 18-105 at f/8 as compared to the same capture on the 24-70 at the same focal length at f/8.

KRock seems to love the 14-24. I think his point is that there are a lot of DX-only wide angles that are smaller and cheaper than the 14-24.

15. My sentiments exactly. It is an absolutely fantastic lens: superb edge-to-edge sharpness at all apertures, large maximum aperture and solid build. However, I too find it a little overpriced for the focal length. 14mm on DX is not that wide and a 10-24DX or 12-24DX would give you an even greater field of view (+ more versatility F-length-wise). That said, you would have to stop down to achieve similar degrees of sharpness throughout the frame. Ultimately, you will have to ask yourself whether constant f/2.8, superior build quality and wide open edge-to-edge sharpness is worth paying extra over a wider field of view.

The 24-70 is fantastic on DX. The focal range is great for walk-around duties + portraits. Sure, you may want a bit more on the wide-end, but apart from that no complaints. Sharp wide-open and nice bokeh.

16. I'm actually in the same boat...I was thinking about getting either the 14-24 or 24-70 for my D300, but i will really miss the small focal length between my 11-16 and the 24-70...so i'm going to have to stick with buying a 17-55...unless i go FF!! ;)  :) 

17. strawman

strawman

Mar 24, 2006
    Missoula, MT
    +1

18. StinkyD

StinkyD

Nov 29, 2008
    Utah
    +1 IF: 1) You don't mind (or kind of enjoy) buying/selling lenses. 2) Your move to FX is likely to be a year or more away.

19. I use the 24-70 on the D300 and I love it. It gives me an equivalent 35-105 which is a great FOV for the work that I do. Love it.

I also tried it on a D700, and it was great there as well. The only issue is that I had to readjust how I shoot with it.

R

20. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I have a 17-55 and actually think I'd like the 24-70 better on DX. And i'd probably like the 24-70 better on DX than on FX becaue (in DX focal length terms), the 24-70 is only equivalent to a DX 45mm lens at the long end when on FX, and I'm always wanting it to go a bit longer.

For ultra-wide, I think you'd be better off with something like the Nikkor 10-24, or Tokina 11-16 if you really need 2.8. 14mm isn't that wide on DX, but it's been wide enough for me. I have a Nikkor AF 14mm f/2.8D prime which I love and intend to keep whether I go FX or not. It works great on my film cameras when I use them, and it's half the size, weight, and price of the 14-24 beast. :eek: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.