14-24 back focus on D200? (link fixed)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by vinman, Jul 21, 2008.

1. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Ok, so I took this shot at our local library yesterday. Auto WB, primarily flourescent light (good influx of natural, too), handheld.

This screen capture from ViewNX clearly shows the focus indicator in front of the area in focus. Being on a D200, I'm not really sure what to do about it, or not do. The shot is taken at 14mm/2.8, so the focal plane is obviously quite shallow, anyway. Coupled with the fact that there is no way to "fine tune" lenses on the 200, should this be a concern? I shot some flowers up close later in the afternoon, and the images taken wide open show lack of focus in the intended range also. You can see that what IS in focus is sharp and clear, just not exactly what I was aiming at.

So, what to do??

Image taken at 14mm/2.8, ISO 320, 1/500, no flash...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  2. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Can't see anything. It says content protected by owner.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  3. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Sal, can you see the image?

4. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    image appears to be fixed - SORRY! :)

5. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Help?

6. Try your center AF point, not the side sensors. See if you still get the problem?

7. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Yes. The one image I shot (f5.6) using the center indicator is also soft in the focus area.

8. Hmm... not sure what to suggest, I know with many Nikon wide angles lenses they put a warning in the manual that AF may not work correctly, but I am not sure if this is the case here? (I haven't read my manual)

The weird thing is that with a wide angle - even wide open, you should have loads of depth of field so I would expect AF errors to (by the margin you are reporting) to be very rare!