14-24 came early (GOT IT!!)

About two weeks too early! It was supposed to come with my D700. At least I got to go fondle it for a little while :) I can rest easy knowing it'll be at my dealer's shop when the camera arrives and I've got the fundage. Meanwhile, if the 700 doesn't come on time, I can get to know the lens a little better with my 200 - gonna be hard to resist not using plastic to go get it :-0

Oh, what a lovely bulbous front element my baby has...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already rationalized using a credit card about six different ways, but I'm going to be strong. At least that's the thought I'm going to bed on :)

I've already rationalized using a credit card about six different ways, but I'm going to be strong. At least that's the thought I'm going to bed on :)

I hope you have a dealer you can trust who will hold it for you, when somebody else appears waving plastic.

Let's all we careful with plastic. My Barber aways says...
"don't fall in love with a new car, they makes cars every day of the year" I want to add to that by saying... Nikon will always make new cameras. Todays exotic DSLR will be tomorrow's bargain. Remember the D1x for $4500 mrsp.
and the Kodak DCS14 for $6000 msrp?:Teeth::eek:
How many of you guys lusted and gave in to lust for the
D1x at $4500.... enough said.:wink:

Oh yeah, I'm getting it regardless. In fact, I'm helping the dealer rearrange his shop after he closes tomorrow. I'll be surprised if he doesn't tell me to go ahead and take it with me. I'd never ask, but I'm not sure I could turn that down if offered!

"don't fall in love with a new car, they makes cars every day of the year" I want to add to that by saying... Nikon will always make new cameras. Todays exotic DSLR will be tomorrow's bargain. Remember the D1x for $4500 mrsp.

Totally agree. I'm usually always of the mindset that better glass is always useful, where a newer body is usually just "fun". The 700 has the potential to enable me to get shots that are simply not possible with the 200 due to its lack of high iso performance and dynamic range. I've been studying landscape and architectural images taken with the D3 and D300 and the gain in DR is really going to change the way I shoot a lot of things. In short, this is the first body I've bought in a long time (since going from the F3 to the F4) that I felt like the body would change HOW I shoot. The switch to digital was not one I made with excitement, and while it did change a lot of aspects of my photography, for me it was secondary to my switch from manual to auto focus.

The 14-24 purchase has been a foregone conclusion for a while, now. The transition to a full frame body just pushed up the time frame.

Exactly. Somehow I think Nikon made D700 an upgrade, just for us price/technology cautious D200 owners.

I said mainly for D200 owners, because many D80/D100 has already upgraded to D300, and many of us D200 owners can't justify the slight upgrade to a D300.

Oh YEAH! Helped the shop owner move display cases around for about two hours this afternoon, and brought the lens home with me :)

Cooked dinner for some friends this evening and got a few shots of their two toddlers, but nothing to write home about yet. I plan to give it a workout tomorrow. May take it out tomorrow night and shoot some local buildings...

Sure feels nice on the camera. And that front glass... Almost luscious! Can't wait to see what it does on full frame!!

I really like mine. I surprised myself a bit as I am not fond of large lenses (and I have just sold my 24-70 f/2.8 due to the weight / hood size) but this one is a really nice lens, and not as a big as I feared (Nikon have resisted the temptation to saddle it with a monster hood which they seem to like to do for the 17-55 DX / 24-70 f/2.8 midrange lenses)

Its very sharp (only seen on DX at the moment!), not really wide enough at 14mm on DX for interiors mind, but on FF... :)

This Thread Us Useless Without Pictures!!!

I'll start

BrenhamMorningGlory_1515.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the case with most
things in life!!!!:smile:

This Thread Us Useless Without Pictures!!!

I'll start

Patience please! I just got the thing!! I shot some flowers and fountains yesterday in REALLY crappy light, so NO ONE sees those :tongue:

I have some shots I took at our library that I'll upload to my Zen site tonight that indicate this lens/D200 is back focusing pretty significantly up close. Not really sure what to do about it on the 200...

In fact, I'll try and post one shot in particular over the next few minutes for an opinion...

Ok, so this is a simple screen capture from ViewNX showing the focus point. No alterations have been made to this image except nef-jpg for screen capture.

What do you think? The area in focus is obviously several inches behind the focus point indicator. This was shot without flash under flourescent set to auto WB handheld. Image shot at 14mm/2.8

p409409232-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom