14-24 sharpness at f2.8 at infinity? Advice requested.

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Straight from the camera,D3 @14mm. (nothing done in PS) sharpening is equal to 0 in camera.
(im using acr)

nik14-24_wideopen.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

100% crop (center)
nik14-24_wideopen_crop.jpg

i only use it at f/2.8 when i have the possibility of glare or ghosting.. i have that i can only shoot wide-open into the sun or a bright opject.. hence.. i do not have too many good examples except the one i posted.. usually i am at 4-5.6

also... i just noticed that the AFS is not working all that well.. it sometimes bounces a bit.. and i find that i have to manual adjust at infinity.. this is new... i am sending the lens back for work.. but perhaps this is the problem??

Judging by the examples given by dreams202 and Paul it is absolutely ridiculous how sharp this lens is. And the f/2.8 shot into the sun shows that is fairly flair resistant as well, at least for a lens that wide with a front element that looks like a headlight anyway. Thanks for the insight, both of you.

S

scooptdoo

Well the focus ring on the 14-24 isnt made for MF, regardless of liveview or not,you need to zoom in fully and move the focus ring back and forth in very small incraments (wich is hard given its a AF lens, and geared as one)

Ill try to see if i can dig up a sample of the 14-24/2,8 at a distance subject, as you understand most people using it @ F/2,8 will use it upclose.

Excellent point made about mf with af lens.

shot at f/2.8 the other day.. not the best exposure, but was shot into the sun upper right..

Nikon D2x ,Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED 1/640s f/2.8 at 14.0mm
104508942.gif

and i have been lucky to exchange it for a new one (great dealer i have after 9 months of use) since it very definitely developed an AFS problem.. i would suspect the autofocus first if there are sharpenss problems..

I haven't been back here for awhile.

Thanks for the samples and updates, guys. It looks as if the 14-24 works well when it works. Sorry to here yours has problems Bob.

I'm still putzing around with my Tokina 12-24, still afraid to get the NIkkor.

Cheers,

Larry

Latest threads

Top Bottom