14-24 Visit Mental Hospital for the Last Time

The Mental Hospital is located in Manteno, Illinois and was abandoned in the early 1980's. At one time, over 8,000 patients were housed in the facility. With a staff of less than 300, the facility had a reputation for inadequate care. Stories of patient abuse surfaced--and hundreds of patients died during their "treatment".

Now, only one building on the original campus remains untouched. The others have been demolished or renovated. I visited the facility yesterday as I don't expect it to be around much longer. There is a new housing development going up right next to it now--and I expect this building to go down within a year.

This building is well known to "ghost hunters" around the country. Visitors report hearing screaming--and some insist that they've seen ghosts.

I wasn't too concerned about the ghosts for two reasons. First, the building has deteriorated so much that I practically felt like I was outside in many of the rooms! Next, HDR Efex Pro2 has the "Ghost Reduction" feature--which I set at 100%.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My biggest concern was either meeting up with a less than desirable character in there, or having a portion of the roof fall on me. :eek:

All of these photos were taken yesterday with my D800 and 14-24 2.8:

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
The reflections really add depth and interest to the images! Nice use of converging lines to draw the viewer into the image. Well done!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
cool story, Glen, and wow, 8k patients! Your photos are why i recently acquired Troy's 14-24. Well done!
Thanks John...

When I first purchased the 14-24, it took me a while to see things from an ultra wide perspective. I thought it might have been a mistake to buy the lens as I was getting so little use from it. Now, it is one of my most valuable lenses and gets more use than my 24-70! I would have a hard time going shooting without it.

The reflections really add depth and interest to the images! Nice use of converging lines to draw the viewer into the image. Well done!
Thanks Karen...one of the reasons that I went into the building yesterday is that we've been getting a lot of rain. I was hoping that the reflections would improve the photos.

Glenn

Real Name
Mike
I love how you've put these images together Glenn! My favorite is #2 and I can't exactly put my finger on why. There's so much going on in it. I like how you've captured the light rays coming from the skylights and still managed to bring out all the detail in the rest of the images. As always, well done Sir!

I love how you've put these images together Glenn! My favorite is #2 and I can't exactly put my finger on why. There's so much going on in it. I like how you've captured the light rays coming from the skylights and still managed to bring out all the detail in the rest of the images. As always, well done Sir!
Thanks Mike...thankfully, HDR enabled me to retain more details even with the bright highlights from the windows.

I love the combination of relevant narrative and humor with the outstanding photography. Terrific job, Glenn.
Thanks Bob...I'm glad that at least one person appreciates my sense of humor! :smile:

Glenn

Your humor is appreciated more than you know . . . almost as much as your quality work! Thanks for a wonderful set!

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Nice picture Glenn, but if I'm honest I rather see some State Capitol Building! This doesn't work with me in contrary of most of your other pictures.

Excellent work, Glenn (but what else do we expect from you?)! And glad you found the ghost reduction :D

These are very beautiful. I really enjoy this type of photography. Somehow there's a strange beauty in the colors / textures of run down / abandoned buildings like this. Of course, I have rarely / never worked up the courage to actually go inside to photograph. Very nice.

Fascinating story and great images to go along with it. Looks like Glenn flew into the Cuckoo's nest!
Thanks Bobby...

I'm sure that this place was once like the place in that movie. Here's one from back in the day:

Glenn

Your humor is appreciated more than you know . . . almost as much as your quality work! Thanks for a wonderful set!
Thanks Don!

Nice picture Glenn, but if I'm honest I rather see some State Capitol Building! This doesn't work with me in contrary of most of your other pictures.
Thanks Rob...as you know, I like to shoot just about anything. I enjoyed this photo shoot every bit as much as the state capitols. However, I have five more state capitols scheduled for this summer (South Dakota, Washington, Oregon, Utah and Idaho)--so I must like photographing those buildings!

Very cool shots :smile:
Thank you, Mark

Excellent work, Glenn (but what else do we expect from you?)! And glad you found the ghost reduction :D
Thanks Klaus-Peter :smile:

Impressive (as always) images! Are all them HDR´s?
Thank you, Rui...every one of these is HDR. Some are five frames, while others are seven frames--depending upon the dynamic range in each scene.

These are very beautiful. I really enjoy this type of photography. Somehow there's a strange beauty in the colors / textures of run down / abandoned buildings like this. Of course, I have rarely / never worked up the courage to actually go inside to photograph. Very nice.
Thank you, Rob. I'm surprised that I had the courage to enter the facility--mostly because of the concern about who I might run into inside there.

Glenn

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom