14-24 Zoom Ring Play?

Hello,

I've noticed that when I wiggle the zoom ring, it has a bit of play. What's interesting to note is when I wiggle it from the 12 and 6 o'clock position (assuming that 12 o'clock is the lens label and focus distance screen and 9 o'clock is the A-M/A button) it moves a little but when I wiggle from the 3 and 9 o'clock position it makes an obvious clicking noise, as if it is metal hitting against metal. When rotating normally, the zoom ring is nice and smooth with no grinding.

I am a bit concerned as I have never seen such a loud noise with any lens. I know little play is normal, and indeed the 14-24 zoom ring does move a little. I am assuming that it is metal hitting against another metal? I was wondering if anyone else can contribute to what their 14-24 is like? I am a bit disappointed given it's a "Made in Japan" lens, and also as the 70-200 is perfectly normal.

I don't think this should warrant a repair but if anyone thinks it will cause more serious outcomes maybe I should book it in :(

Your contribution is appreciated!

dL

To me the zoom and focus rings both feel cheap and have some play. I was also disappointed with this when I got the lens but it doesn't seem to be an issue for me and the lens is great other then build. The hood is cheap also and chips or cracks easy. I think its crazy they charge $2K and then have the quality like this

I tried a copy in a store, and the zoom ring gets stiffer as you zoom towards 14. Mine is smooth as butter, except when I wiggle it, it makes a loud clicking noise. However, the play or movement is tiny but somehow it is hitting against something. I'll see what Nikon says.

dL

Latest threads

Top Bottom