1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

14-24mm Produces No Hotspots

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by The Smoking Camera, Aug 27, 2008.

1. For those considering the Nikon 14-24mm lens, here's another peripheral selling point - infrared photography. In the infrared part of the spectrum, many wide angle lenses produce a hot spot in the center. I can't explain the technical details, but suffice to say a hot spot is a somewhat light circle in the center of the image. The hotspot can vary in size and intensity and is obviously a bit annoying. The good news is the 14-24mm produces no such hotspots - just a nice clean infrared image. Here's an example.

p405409581-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    Whoa ! I have no idea what it is or where it is, but it looks cool !

3. joe...
    as chris said above...
    i don't know anything about the what and where of that image
    but.... I LOVE IT

4. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Oahu, from that cemetary on the hill (forgot the name)???

5. This is the view from Mount Tantalus Lookout overlooking Honolulu, Waikiki and Diamond Head.

6. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    That picture is well neat. :smile:

I guess this was using an IR adapted camera with a visible light filter in place of the usual IR filter in front of the sensor?

7. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Nice capture, thanks for sharing!

8. That is such a cool image. Very nice.

9. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you very much for that information - I have a converted D40 and use the 18-55 - no hot spots, and I have just bought the 14-24, but did not expect it to be used for IR - exactly as you wrote:

Normally WA.s produce hot spots.

-----

Very happy to read that.

10. Gosh that is a fantastic view. So clear!

11. Is that Middle Earth? Cool shot. The 14-24 is from another planet so it's the right tool for that shot.

12. You are correct - a converted Nikon D200.

13. Hotplate

Hotplate

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Really cool shot Joe.

14. adol290

adol290

Apr 15, 2007
    Manitoba, Canada
    WOW Surreal.....

15. Perfect comment.

16. For those interested here's another infrared photo with a slightly different composition and the blue and red channels reversed.

p409276193-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

17. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Tryed it today, and the lens produced ghosts when using an IR-converted camera (more than on "normal camera", so be aware of the sun, when shooting IR)

18. I'd love to have that lens for IR (or regular photography) but the cost is prohibitive. I think I can get by with a 17-35 - which by all reports, also produces no hotspot.

For now, I picked up an 18-55 (also rumored to be hotspot-free).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.