14 bit frame rate

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by pforsell, Jul 1, 2008.

1. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    I browsed through the D700 material in Nikon site. Looks to me that the max frame rate is the same with both 12 bit and 14 bit images. Anyone seen a footnote or some small print that says otherwise?

2. DoJC

DoJC

Feb 14, 2008
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    It's a little confusing to me:

It almost sounds like the RAW recording isn't full speed like the D3, but is more like the D300. Makes sense as it would compete too much with the D3 for roughly half the money.

3. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Actually, it's not even quite as fast as the D300, which can be coaxed to do 6.5 fps at 12 bits; but with the extra power the MB-D10 can deliver, the D700 pulls ahead since its capable of outputting 14 bit files. All of these cameras (D300, D700 and D3) capture analog data and can deliver 14 bits to the ADC where it is converted to 16 bits as it moves through the imaging pipeline before being saved as JPEG, TIFF, or various RAW formats. I think the limiting factor in fps is the shutter, and that apparently requires more power than the EN-EL3e is capable of delivering.

4. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

The D700 has only 1 image processor and probably a smaller buffer, that's probably why it's slower than the D3

5. jlmoon

jlmoon

May 13, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Sorry guys, currently you just can't beat the 'D3'
    You get what you pay for!

6. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    #1 we haven't paid for anything yet :biggrin:
    #2 we are not looking to beat the D3. We use cameras, not beat them.
    #3 the D700 is a new midrange camera, not D3 replacement
    #4 it will eventually be Nikon that beats the D3 with D3X, not the shooters
    #5 unless Canon gets there first :eek: 
    #6 no need to feel threatened as these are just tools ya know, pans and kettles don't cook the dinner :biggrin:

7. jlmoon

jlmoon

May 13, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Peter,
    #1 thats good!!!
    #2 and thats why I used the adverb '"currently"' , ah yes I know not to beat my baby, I would hope anybody who pays $5000 for a body would 'use' it not 'beat' it.. heheh!
    #3 from some of the chatter on here, nah! maybe I was mistaken, but I thought some were saying the 700 was going to kill the D3. NOT!!
    #4 now true the D3X will simply be awesome, can't wait so I can go spend another 10K with all the goodies to boot.
    #5 Canon? Whos that.. joking.. they are great too!
    #and 6 .. nope..not at all! I love tools, they are so cool! My wife and I cook our dinner.. hehe

Best too yah!

Jon

8. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

I see this camera to answer the challenge of the 5D. Problem is the 5D is what, 800 dollars cheaper? Also the 5D is a pretty old camera that is about to be replaced and what will that replacement be like?

9. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Hi Gary,
    I hope the 5D replacement is a 14-16 megapixel full frame camera shooting 16 bit images at 6-9 FPS and priced to $2599. Stiff competition would put the Nikon pricing in line. A D700 at $2000 and D3 at $3000 is better for the consumers.

But this thread (started by me) was not about the 5D and I see no contribution to my question in your post. Perhaps you should start a couple more threads of your own where you could most colorfully express your disappointment about Nikon, the D700, and life generally, and leave unrelated threads alone?

Otherwise people will think you are a very childish man jap-jap-japping the same-o same-o and polluting every thread like my 4 years old nephew. We don't want that to happen, do we? We want to save face and give the impression that we are adults, right?

So, any facts about the 14bit frame rate of the D700?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  10. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

The 5D should be cheaper because it does 3 fps and 12 bits versus the D700 which does 5 fps (8 fps with the MB-D10 and appropriate batteries) and 14 bits. I could point out other things, but that's for another thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.