14 inches.....who needs 14 inches???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BostonRott, May 11, 2007.

1. Not me.....I don't need an extra 14 inches of hair! :biggrin:

Hubby and I went for a haircut tonight, we go to a good friend of his. I walked in thinking I'd like 3 or 4" taken off, but then asked if she thought I had enough to donate to Locks of Love. You need a minimum of 10 inches. Yep, no problem.

She put it in a pony tail and braided it.....cut off 14 inches, and STILL my hair is down below my shoulders! :eek: :redface:

George couldn't believe how long my hair really was (99% of the time it's up in a pony tail, unless it's in a formal up-do). Well, when yer not into "hair, make-up and clothes" and just keep pulling your hair back every day......it grows. :tongue:

I'd MUCH rather spend money on photographic equipment, the track-ready M3 and travel than on haircuts!!! :tongue: :biggrin: :tongue:

I'm VERY happy to be able to donate this hair, now to get used to this super short pony-tail!! :eek: :tongue:

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nothing better than a "random act of kindness"...I tip my hat to the lady!

3. I'm only paying it forward Lt, tis a small act to repay many kindnesses. :smile:

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I have considered growing my hair for Locks of Love. You've inspired me...I think I'm going to commit myself right now to growing it out.

Thanks for being such a great person and paying forward in such a beautiful way!

5. Make sure you bring the boys with you to have it cut, and get Patrick to photograph their faces!! :smile:

Look forward to before/after pics! :smile:

6. I'm growing mine out for Locks of Love too! :biggrin:

7. Awesome Jen!!!! :smile:

8. My sister got a wig from a place, could have been Locks of Love...not sure, when she had leukemia. Good cause. Good on you for donating, Gretchen.

9. RexRoy

RexRoy

Jan 4, 2006
    New York
    I've donned long hair (reached down just below my waist) for a good 7 years. When I finally decided to trim it off, my hairdresser asked me if I wanted to donate it (I didn't realize that hair can be donated then). Not knowing who the recipient/s will be nor its implication, I agreed nonchalantly. A few months later, I received a letter from a 9-year old girl who had (yes, had!) leukemia thanking me for her "new" hair (a snapshot of her with a beaming smile attached). Still makes me teary-eyed to this day.

Thanks for your generous act, Gretchen.

10. O wow, what a wonderful letter to receive!!! :smile:

I do platelet phoresis (or did, for years) and at one point got matched to a very young boy....they needed me to come in for extra draws. I actually have "track" marks on my AC's (elbow vein) now from having a 14g needle in both arms every three days for almost two weeks. I wear my track marks with pride!! :biggrin: The haircut was painless!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

11. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Very cool.. Our pastor does this as well.

For me I am follicly challenged!

12. Gretchen,
    God Bless You ! On behalf of my entire family, Thank You. Prior to Sept. 28, 1998, my older sister then only 43, was benefactor of similar donations of locks of hair. To see 1st hand the joy it brings so many women, young and old at their most trying hours....
    I have a friend at work who does it once a year !

13. melba

melba

Apr 2, 2006
    oregon
    I'm growing my hair out also for Locks of Love. Come on ladies lets unite! Oops. guys too.

14. Ciao Boston,
    just to quick reply (nicely) to you joking with sizes and words:
    1) Usually my wife neither waits for 1", hair look at her too long after that size
    2) Usually I have always been ok with two inches (read it as "thumbs") as I guess other 7 billions humans do
    3) My tv is an old 32" crt, so 14" is quite little... :) :) :)

All the best :)

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Gretchen, You did a great thing. We've been involved in Locks of Love this year, too!

My daughter is a teacher's aid to a woman who has breast cancer. This got Melissa to thinking about locks of love. She organized an assembly at her school and 35 people donated hair.

It's a great thing. They did a local news story about the event and had a girl from the area on the news story who had received a Locks of Love wig. She looked beautiful.

original.

View attachment 95078

View attachment 95079

16. That is great Gretchen and such a worthy cause. Having had two in my family with cancer I realize how important this simple act of kindness can be.

17. Awesome! Wow, you had some long hair! My daughter (age 8) is growing hers to donate, as well. She's only about an inch or so away, so after dance recital in June (must have enough hair for the requisite ballet bun) we'll re-evaluate.

18. I work in children's health care and see kids every day who benefit from this type of unselfish kindness. It means so much. Thanks you!

19. I'll see if I can get a shot of Emilie holding the braided pony tail this afternoon. :smile:

20. Hey Gretchen -

Way to go - people like you make a huge difference for those less fortunate!

For many of us, hair is a renewable resource (it's becoming less so for me - LOL), but especially for kids undergoing chemotherapy during the adolescent years, it is a very precious commodity indeed . . .

My daughter did this a few years back, and I was very pleased by her thoughtfulness also.

Eric