15 new Galleries posted

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Ron Reznick, Jul 30, 2007.

1. There are all sorts of new Scenic and Wildlife Galleries up on Digital Images, plus more (you may want to stop by the Portfolio page, for instance).

http://digital-images.net

Hope you find one or two you like...

Ron

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You have some beauties here Ron. Can't wait to get home a go through more of them. :smile:

3. Excellent stuff Ron. And a very professional look to the site.

Best,

Jose

4. Thanks, Frank and Jose. I had to do some tweaking since I posted this, so the layout is a little better now...

There is a lot up there. The updates added 15 galleries and a number of new sections, and about 450 images, so I understand if it takes a while to go through it. I am curious to hear what you think though, so when you can let me know. That really was a lot of work (over 40 hours spent on the website itself just this past weekend -- I don't want to think how much processing time went in over the last few months).

Ron

5. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Thanks for the new link. The photos of the Southwest are awesome. The Monument Valley sunrise and the CAnyon de Chelly are especially nice. Was that the 12-24 mainly or a prime?

6. This is sort of funny... on another forum someone was complaining about all of the lens info, saying that nobody really needed to know about that. I told him that I started putting that info under photos on Gallery pages a couple of years ago simply out of a desire for self-defense -- I get a lot of questions about which lenses and which aperture settings I use.

Except for a couple of very long-distance Anasazi scenics at Cyn DeChelly (500mm!), all but one of the Monument Valley and Cyn DeChelly shots posted were using the 17-35 AFS. That one ringer was taken with the 35-70/2.8D. Check captions under the images on Gallery pages -- I've posted lens, focal length and aperture for each shot.

Ron

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ron,

Even though I got Home about 5 hours ago, I just stopped working, so I just saw your update. You are right, the site is easier to navigate now. Thanks for the extra effort. I certainly can relate to the effort involved.

WRT to the images, I have only looked at 15-20, but they are most excellent. I really enjoyed the Sanibel set. They bring back some happy memories of our session down there, and I think I have shots of some of those same birdies. I'll have to go through my shots and see.

Thanks for posting these. :smile:

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful photography for sure:>)) All of them

9. bobarue

bobarue

Aug 9, 2005
    Louisiana
    Awesome job, Ron! I know I can speak for many of us, THANKS for putting up some new stuff and as usual, your work is very inspirational.

I did the Arizona/Utah NP tour in late March over a 2 week period. Took over 2000 pics, but you make me want to go back and do it again.

10. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Beautiful website and beautiful photos, Ron. Thank you for putting so much time into this; rest assured that we will all enjoy it immensly and appreciate your efforts.

(Love your white pelicans...)

11. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Amazing photos Ron. An embarrassment of riches. I look forward to spending more time on the site absorbing the images.

12. bobarue

bobarue

Aug 9, 2005
    Louisiana
    Ron,

I was wondering if you find yourself starting with common sharpening settings for your final sharpening on shots like the Southwest Scenics? I know it depends on output, so let's say to be printed on 13x19 Epson hvy wt matte from a R2400 just like you give for the Capture default D200 settings.

Also, I don't have any personal experience but do you have any preference between the Enhanced matte over the regular heavy weight matte?

Isn't that crazy driving out there in the open terrain, where the cows and bulls rule. I almost ran into a few early in the morning on the way to Hovenweep.

13. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hello Ron.....

I saw the negative comments over at DPR regarding your sites navigation, but to be honest, it was a tad layered but it wasn't bad enough to drive me away...as many flash based sites are these days.

Since the update, it is easier and perhaps this will calm down the technohead geeks (I know...you consider yourself one :) from complaining, rather than enjoying the experience!

Do me a favor and don't loose the lens info...I refer a lot of folks to those particular pages over the course of a year.

14. Hi Ron--

The lens info has always been of interest to me and I'm sure many others.

The pictures are up to your outstanding standards -- I just wish there were not so many -- I can't stop looking at them!

PaulC

15. Awesome series in all of these galleries. The Bosque del Apache gallery sure reminds me of last year at Bosque, when Jim and I ran into you. Beautiful shots Ron.

Louie

16. Thanks, Louie. It was great meeting you (and Jim) in Bosque... makes it more fun when you're shooting with others, doesn't it?

I appreciate the compliment, Paul. Believe me, the lens info stays -- it saves a ton of questions.

Hiya, Jim... re: the navigation, I've put up a site tree on the bottom of the Home page. It's organized as well as I possibly can, considering the number of pages up there. If someone could come up with a better way (other than taking down 1/2 of the pages to remove one layer) I'd consider it.

Ellis, the sharpening settings really do depend on the quality of the original image and the output media. Let's just say that you nailed the shot, and you're outputting on Glossy stock. You may want to put a very mild USM on the full-size image to print on the Epson (working with a 240dpi image at the print size). As the dot-gain of the media goes up, or the pixel density of the image goes down, you need to increase sharpening to get the same results (at some point, of course, the pixel density of the image is too low for good results on that type of media, and it makes sense to work with media with a higher dot-gain). With Matte, on a 210(180)dpi image with perfect focus, I generally work with 125(150), 0.3(0.5), 1 for Photoshop USM (the numbers in parentheses are for 180dpi). Again, these numbers are not carved in stone. An image at 180dpi with strongly convergent lines may show a halo at convergences if you set the radius to 0.5 -- in that case leave it at 0.3. The Enhanced Matte is an Archival paper, and will hold color longer.

Long, lonely way out to Hovenweep. No doubt... :^)

Thanks, Hunter, Pia and esp. you, Gale! Long time since Ding Darling...

Ron

17. Great site Ron. I did not find it too layer intensive. And I would vote for keeping the lens info.

As you might guess, my favorite gallery is the Bosque. Man, I can't wait for those birds to return. The Geese at First Light is an awesome image.

You coming back this Winter?

18. bobarue

bobarue

Aug 9, 2005
    Louisiana
    Thanks Ron,

That is what I was looking for and I do understand there can be no magic set of numbers.
    So to simplifiy, Epson papers low dot gain would be the glossy papers then to the semi gloss on to the matte papers being at higher dot gain. (from less to more sharpening tolerance)

We missed Mesa Verde due to the time of year we went (snow), but I certainaly enjoyed your shots.

We went down to Sedona but didn't go in because the sign at the entrance said it didn't open until 9am which I thought was strange.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007