15 years, 4+ million posts

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Back in the Winter, early Spring I was going to mention that the Nikon Cafe has been in existence since Jan 2005 and reached over 4 million posts. Of course my addled brain forgot when we passed 4 million. It is actually much closer to 5 million because we purged a lot of threads and posts prior to upgrading to different servers through the years and also when making the switch from VB to xenforo forum software.

Just a note of appreciation to our founders Patrick Bramlet, Frank (Flew), Mike who took over from Patrick and lastly Amin who currently serves as our owner/caretaker. Things have changed, forums have changed, our family and members here passed away:( , folks move on, and the internet and social media has certainly changed. One constant remains: This is the Best Damn place I visit on the web!

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since you're cranking out statistics.... how about something analogous to ' the top 1% rich people have 2/3 the total $$'. What percentage of those 4 million posts are by the upper 1% of members, sorted by post count?
well, the top 20 posters have over a half million posts.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
other stats,

Top 20 posters over half million posts.

Top 60 posters range from 8000-43,000 posts

There are approx 12,900 members,

We usually have a touch under 300 hundred active members daily. At the height of forums, we averaged 400-500 unique botless visits. More with new camera introductions, sometimes doubled. This is normal at most smaller forums to have had this amount of change with social media changes.

In the past we used to purge members with only 1-2 posts with several years of inactivity, which reduced our membership to around 8-9000 members. We have not purged since Amin took over a few years ago, The purge as I called it was to keep our database and server file sizes small back in the day, not needed now with new format of Xenforo and Amin’s great support.

We have never had more than 1500 different truly active members posting every month. This is the nature of all forums.

We used to require a range of x number of days of membership and x number of posts before access to the for sale area. (for a long time it was 6 months and 300 posts).
In the 2000s and early 2010s approximately 20% of our membership was here only for gear sales. Now the buy sell is open to all.

We were add free and only accepted donations for over 12 years, with funds for site hosting covered by the owners.

Nikon Cafe logo was established in 2005, and received a needed facelift when Amin took over the site.

Net bots from google were first allowed to crawl and document our site with Amin taking over, advantages obvious with search parameters, disadvantage of course are there are bots. Lol.

Nikon Cafe is still family friendly and The kindest forum on the net.

Last edited:
It has been a favorite place of mine for many, many years. I've been here for almost the entire existence of the cafe. Thank you to all those who make it possible.

Terri and I joined on the same day. Hat's off to all the oldtimers!

I passed 22,222 posts a week or so ago and started to make a fuss about it, but held off.

Not a day goes by that I don't drop by to see what is going on. A large fraction of what I know about photography I learned here. I really appreciated all the encouragement from you folks a year ago when I was recovering from that unfortunate event in Italy.

I'll lift a glass to the next 4 million this evening.

I learned a ton here when I got into digital after a long hiatus from film. I also spent a ton of $$$ on gear because of all the stuff I learned here. " Yes dear, I really need a 200/2VR, for the grandkids pix." (Grandkids arrived 5 years later :D )

I think over the years there is maybe less emphasis on anticipating the next DSLR model. IMHO the cameras are more technically capable than most users' actual needs, like the typical high performance sports car is more capable than its typical owner.

There has been a migration to mirrorless - I have a Fuji X-Pro 2 - but when I want to efficiently control the shot I always go back to my DSLR because I hate needing a menu for basic (to me) functions. So I have intentionally restricted my Fuji gear to a fast 35mm lens and a knock off flash.

Do we know how many images have been posted? I realize in the old days we were linking from personal web hosts or SmugMug but perhaps this is a known quantity through other means?

Sean
When I go to my own profile it says I have posted 1402 images, which seems about right. So I guess it is at least theoretically possible to do globally for the Cafe. And I'll add an image below to throw off the count. :ROFLMAO:

F4QQWLs-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
David
other stats,

Top 20 posters over half million posts.

Top 60 posters range from 8000-43,000 posts

There are approx 12,900 members,

We usually have a touch under 300 hundred active members daily. At the height of forums, we averaged 400-500 unique botless visits. More with new camera introductions, sometimes doubled. This is normal at most smaller forums to have had this amount of change with social media changes.

In the past we used to purge members with only 1-2 posts with several years of inactivity, which reduced our membership to around 8-9000 members. We have not purged since Amin took over a few years ago, The purge as I called it was to keep our database and server file sizes small back in the day, not needed now with new format of Xenforo and Amin’s great support.

We have never had more than 1500 different truly active members posting every month. This is the nature of all forums.

We used to require a range of x number of days of membership and x number of posts before access to the for sale area. (for a long time it was 6 months and 300 posts).
In the 2000s and early 2010s approximately 20% of our membership was here only for gear sales. Now the buy sell is open to all.

We were add free and only accepted donations for over 12 years, with funds for site hosting covered by the owners.

Nikon Cafe logo was established in 2005, and received a needed facelift when Amin took over the site.

Net bots from google were first allowed to crawl and document our site with Amin taking over, advantages obvious with search parameters, disadvantage of course are there are bots. Lol.

Nikon Cafe is still family friendly and The kindest forum on the net.
And I still screw up the curve. But it's been a great place, glad I followed Uncle Frank over from DPR.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom