$150 for an anniversary Nikon . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Palouse, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Jeez - in the past 50 of those 100 yrs, I must have spent $75k on Nikon products going back to my first F body and 50mm/1.4. They ought to send me one of the posters as a thank you.

$150 for a mass produced poster? I often don't get as much for a signed photograph.

2. Huh! I don't care much for those posters, even if they are limited edition. I think I'd hesitate to even pay $1.50 for one! LOL!!

3. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    i think this is another great Nikon offer I can let pass.

4. I'm glad I won't be around for the 200th! :eek::rolleyes:

5. 480sparky

480sparky

May 27, 2013
    Cornpatch
    I wouldn't want one even if it was free.

6. even for fire starter? :rolleyes:

7. 480sparky

480sparky

May 27, 2013
    Cornpatch
    I've got enough garbage around the house I can use for arson purposes.

8. $150 for a matted/framed limited edition piece isn't that outrageous.

9. I had the impression that the matting/framing fee was going to be in addition to the $150.00........

10. At $150 for limited editions it's competitively priced, if you like the art. I rather like the 1980 F3 - brings back very fond memories. If I wanted to decorate a studio, you could do worse. The full suite would look good in a lobby. Framing is extra.

11. Framing is included in the price - there's more cost if you want better glass but $150 is the basic package cost:

nikon.

12. Some of the cameras pictured on those posters cost less than $150, new!:rolleyes:

13. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    True Nick, but that was the value in old dollars. :D

14. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Rick, I have some older cameras. Are you willing to pay for them in new dollars or whatever you meant?

15. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Going to have to pass on that Steve. I had a closet stuffed with those, gave them to my daughter. She said she was starting a camera collection.

16. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    If they were nice-looking artwork, maybe. But those are not at all pretty in my view.
    Besides, most of my wall space is dedicated to my photos or my children's photos of grands.

17. Most of what we have seen so far for the Nikon anniversary is basically over priced junk IM (not so)HO. The D5 and D500 might appeal to a few, but that's it for now.

As a retired marketing guy that bothers me, it is a missed opportunity, a 100 anniversary only comes around every 100 years. However we have yet to see what they announce on the actual day of then anniversary in July, because they cant really mess up and not announce anything that day can they? I suspect we will see the D820 and a mirror less camera of some kind on the actual day.

Now If I would have been the marketing guy at Nikon, planning to sell the Nikon brand at the 100 centenary I would have suggested the following to Nikons top management:
    1. Build the Nikon brand and awareness with a number of activities that really would show off:
      1. All that Nikon has contributed to our life over the past 100 years and what it can do for the next 100 years. ( And yes they are trying to do this but not doing a very good job at it, the biggest group of people standing there like a camera is just a stunt and it does not add real value to the brand.) I would have partnered with National Geographic (and others like AP etc and done a public social media competition to choose the top 25 images taken over the last 100 years with a Nikon cameras, and then given away signed originals of the top 25, then made a book of it and have the stories of each image told by the photographers and given a bunch of them away, plus online etc.
      2. Emphasize the legendary quality and toughness of the Nikon products. Remember the shepherd that ate the D500 and it still worked? Also the Pro that came back with a mud filled camera from Iraq he wanted cleaned that still worked, he did not want a new one he wanted HIS camera back!
      3. Bring the magical Nikkor optics to the forefront. Create another competition to show off the most magical images (not Photoshopped) Winners gets 10 free Nikon cameras and 10 lenses for life!
      4. Eloquently show that a smartphone does not have a chance of providing the IQ of a real Nikon camera in the same price range as a high end smartphone with the amazing standard Nikkor lenses. Take a D3400 and a 18-55 or 18-140, 35mm DX micro and let pro's and enthusiasts take and show images and video with it that just blows a smartphone into smithereens, should be quite easy, 5 fps, low light portraits, magnification, Dx marcro using flash etc and tell the story how to do it to help amateurs get better.
      5. Point towards future with new video capabilities, features like built in stacking, HDR etc. etc.
    2. Release magical products for the 100 anniversary
      1. Build a 100 MP FX camera in a very low numbers, to show you can provide the ultimate digital camera in a limited numbered production run, slap on a 100 anniversary logo
      2. Point to the future and release a supersmall high end enthusiast/pro oriented ap-c mirrorless , F mount compatible with accompanying small pro level DX lenses (16mm (24mm eq.), 24mm (35mm eq.) at F1.4, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 F 2.0, 70-200 F2.8, and a 70-180 equivalent zoom micro ). Leverage of the failed Nikon 1 and now focus squarely on the enthusiast/pros. Slap on the 100 anniversary logo
      3. Release a couple of stunning lenses of extreme quality with the 100 anniversary logo, how about a 50mm F0.95 and a 200mm Micro that resolves more then one can imagine and can produce images we have not been able to do (one can have lots of ideas here)
    3. General marketing activities:
      1. Never miss an opportunity to promote the 100 anniversary: Every single product, sales promotion, ad, web piece, social media should promote the Nikon 100 Anniversary and all the activities under 1 and 2 in this rant.
      2. Have an unbelievable GLOBAL 100 years anniversary event launching the new products and telling the story of the 25 best Nikon images etc. announcing winners etc, pointing to the next 100 years
    Nikon is not really having much enthusiasm for their 100 years anniversary, they better get some soon or they will be a footnote in history.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Wow Andreas. It is clear that you know the ropes regarding sails promotion. I do agree that this opportunity only comes around once in a like time. But this is a brand that hopefully should live for another 100 years and more. Nikon I feel are missing the opportunity to tell their life story and insure the company's life for the future. Come on Nikon wake up and smell the roses.
    Mike

19. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    How about selling the D5100 as D5-100??? ;):):D For the price of a D5...

Just kidding
    Klaus