16 GB Compact Flash Cards in D300

Just a thought, I was a believer in big GB memory cards till I lost 1600+ photo's. Don't know what happened between my camera and the card reader but they were all gone. Card was a Sandisk 16GB

Now the biggest I'll carry is 4GB. I even ordered some 2GB's

It's better to change memory cards more often then to lose a ton of photo's.

Just my .02

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 8 gb card that I have never used because I was afraid of loosing so many photos at once. The most I will use right now is 4. Don't trust myself.

I am just the opposite. I had 4 Gig cards and lost one with all my images on it. Now I use 8 gig cards, one of which usually holds my days shooting. I figure the safest place for the card is in my camera. Having many laying around is courting disaster IMHO.

Mike

W

William

I typically use an 8GB SanDisk for the RAW/slot 1 on my D3, a 4 or 8 GB card for its second slot, and a 4 or 8 GB card for my D300.

I find that when shooting sports and PJ especially, it's very reassuring to know that I can get well over 1000 JPEG's without switching cards if I need them.

For studio and landscape, same idea shooting RAW; it's certainly not like film, when I used to always had that thought in the back of my mind about how many frames were left before I needed to pop the back.

So far, in shooting digital for over 5 years I've never lost a shot because of card failure.

I am just the opposite. I had 4 Gig cards and lost one with all my images on it. Now I use 8 gig cards, one of which usually holds my days shooting. I figure the safest place for the card is in my camera. Having many laying around is courting disaster IMHO.

Mike

Ditto.

I took two 16gb Sandisks on a 2-week trip to Africa and filled both cards completely.

Swapping 2, 4 or 8GB cards would have been a hassle, and I'm positive I would have lost one, just like I lost my gel pack and a lens cap.

BTW, I have not run into a single problem with the Sandisk 16 GB III, but they are not as fast as the IV.

Thinking of getting a couple of 16gb (on sale for about $95 after rebate at B&H, Calumet).

I am so pleased there's a backup slot on the D3, makes me comfortable that in the event that one fails, there's a backup, though I have not had a card failure.

I personally don't like Kingston. I haven't had the best of luck with that brand (granted it has been a couple years at least so...) In my D200 I have an 8gb PNY. However the Kingston don't look like a bad card and seems to have a pretty good write speed. I will have to watch this thread and see if you like it. Because if you do, I will get one. Lol.

And i have never had a problem with losing pictures due to card failure. I have had cards from Lexar, PNY, and SanDisk. Never a problem for me. It seems like some people have though...

I'm considering the 16GB Card as an alternative to 2-8 GB Lexar cards because of the price. I have been using 4 and 8 GB Lexar Cards for years and not had any problems with data or lost any of them, but have not used the Kingston ones.

I personally don't like Kingston. I haven't had the best of luck with that brand (granted it has been a couple years at least so...) In my D200 I have an 8gb PNY. However the Kingston don't look like a bad card and seems to have a pretty good write speed. I will have to watch this thread and see if you like it. Because if you do, I will get one. Lol.

I have only had one failure with a card and it was a PNY 2Gb card. I will never shoot PNY now. Every card I have now is SanDisk and I have never had problems with them.

On another note... does anyone on here have any experience with BuyDig.Com? They have the SanDisk E-III 16 Gb cards retailing for 160.00 with the SanDisk rebates. ($90 back for 1 card, $190 back for 2, and $300 back for 3 cards.) That puts puts it at $70.00 for a 16Gb card if you just buy one. I am looking at getting a couple of the cards and that moves the price down to $65 each.

Sounds like a good deal of BuyDig is a good company to work with.

Tim

I have only had one failure with a card and it was a PNY 2Gb card. I will never shoot PNY now. Every card I have now is SanDisk and I have never had problems with them.

On another note... does anyone on here have any experience with BuyDig.Com? They have the SanDisk E-III 16 Gb cards retailing for 160.00 with the SanDisk rebates. ($90 back for 1 card, $190 back for 2, and $300 back for 3 cards.) That puts puts it at $70.00 for a 16Gb card if you just buy one. I am looking at getting a couple of the cards and that moves the price down to $65 each.

Sounds like a good deal of BuyDig is a good company to work with.

Tim

No experience with BuyDig.com, but wow, that's a good deal.

I wonder if Sandisk is about to release a 16gb IV?

K

Kqw1208

No experience with BuyDig.com, but wow, that's a good deal.

I wonder if Sandisk is about to release a 16gb IV?

I believe the 16 gig IV's are available. Check B&H....

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy a lot of things from BuyDig or there sister store Beach cam . I have had very good luck with them and up to now I have saved the NYS tax.I do not know if they changed like all the BIG .com's which do charge NYS tax.
I got 3 8 gig Sandisk cards from them and i got the Sandisk rebate debit card in 4 weeks

Order from buydig with confidence. I've used them for almost 8 years now. In fact, I just ordered the 16 gb Sandisk card from them for my D300.

I used two 16 gig Sandisk Extreme III's in two D300's for a four day shoot. Blew threw 5950 files total without a hitch. I would say 2/3 of those were from those two cameras/two cards with the other 1/3 being a D3 with SE III 8 gig cards.

No problems. No worries. Smooth and fast.

SAS

I used two 16 gig Sandisk Extreme III's in two D300's for a four day shoot. Blew threw 5950 files total without a hitch. I would say 2/3 of those were from those two cameras/two cards with the other 1/3 being a D3 with SE III 8 gig cards.

No problems. No worries. Smooth and fast.

SAS

Does the D3 write to the 16gb III Sandisk faster than the D300?

Latest threads

Top Bottom