1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

16mm fish on DX

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by MMRadman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. A while ago I decided to future proof my lens set, so got 16mm got full frame fish. Full frame body is currently on a wish list (with 24-70 & 300 f2.8 VR). Does any one else practice this odd combination, please share your experiences.

Regards,

Mladen

2825329283_ce7d20e527_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. The 16 makes wonderful photos on your camera, this is an awesome sample.

3. I would actually like a 16mm *someday* to use on both of my cameras. The less fishy look on DX would be excellent for indoor shots.

4. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    The Nikkor AF 16/2.8 fisheye delivers about 107.3 degrees diagonal angle-of-view on DX sensor with most of the curved lines near the outer edges cropped off. The comparable Sigma 15/2.8 fisheye gives about 108.1 degrees.

The approximately 108 degrees diagonal angle of view is nearly the same that a rectilinear 10 mm lens gives (Sigma 10-20 for example) on DX sensor, but despite being cropped it still has left some of the fishy curvature.

Both lenses naturally deliver the full 180 degrees gorgeously distorted fisheye image on FX sensor.

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i prefer the sig over the nikon...;-)

6. arela

arela

Jan 15, 2008
    Norway
  7. I use a zenitar 16mm myself on DX, I love using the lens, cheap, small, sharp. My intention with this lens was a fast, wide, and smallest possible lens, that I could use in a travel setup.
    I also have a Tokina 12-24, but since I bought the zenitar I hardly touched it again.

Here's a few recent samples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first has a bit of correction, the others are as were distortion wise.

8. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    My 17 year old uses this lens regularly - especially for sky/cloud shots. He likes the mild distortion it gives. Personally I think it holds more promise for wide shots but I usually end up using a 12-24 for those.

9. Not fond of the 16mm on DX. It looks weird.

10. Thanks Charlie :smile:

11. it's a great lens
    nice shot
    with my 14-24 i don't think i'll be needing it

but.... it's a great lens

12. Hi Sonya, i would like D700 myself, and it does indoor shots, 2 cropped examples...

2828275283_57d4085897_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Notice lens cap in lower left corner...

View attachment 247484

Mladen

Digital bodies D300 & D200, Film bodies F80 & F4S
    Primes 16f2.8AFD, 50f1.4AFD, 85f1.4AFD, Zooms 18-35 AFD, 70-200f2.8 AFS VR, 18-200 AFS VR DX
    Other SB-800 & Canon 500D
    Legacy Pentax LX & K1000 with 17-28 Fisheye Zoom, 24f2.8, 35f2.8, 50f1.4, 85f2, 135f3.5 & 200f4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17002757@N08/

13. Hi Nute, are you referring to DX or FX Sigma on DX body?

Actually have a question for you, what does ROTFL stands for? Regards,

Mladen

14. Hi Arela,

That is one very interesting shot, intriguing. I can think of other well known Norwegian nikon user who might produce similar original work :wink:

Regards,

Mladen

15. Hi Greg, no doubt 14-24 is far superior in many ways, but try puting in a jacket pocket :wink: plus same max f stop.

Regards,

Mladen

16. Hi Fernando,

Nice shots, like B&W very much?

Regards,

Mladen

17. Why?

IQ? Color fidelity? ...?

18. I've been happy with the Sigma 15mm on the D700. It seems to work well.

Defished using Fisheye Hemi:

[​IMG]

19. PatrickO

PatrickO

Aug 5, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    This lens has an interesting character. Very sharp, useful depth of field, not that wide and fishy on DX, and needs to be handled right to avoid distortion (or to use it to good effect).

It was this week's walkaround lens, so here are some of yesterday's captures... ...all hand held BTW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. arela

arela

Jan 15, 2008
    Norway
    A lot of great shots here.
    Think I need to consider the 16mm the day my dx camera dies.
    The 10.5 at least made me addicted to Fisheye.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.