16mm for landscapes ???

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Johnnymg, May 6, 2005.

1. Can anyone give me some feedback on using the Nikon 16mm (fish) for landscapes. The lens will be used on a D70. The reviews seem to be pretty positive on the lens.

This lens has a lot of appeal to me because it is VERY small and I'm looking for the smallest DSLR for a bike/hike setup.

Edit: I'm also considering the Tokina 17mm. Any comments on that lens would be appreciated.

TIA
    JohnG

2. Personally, I have found that 17mm is not wide enough for that big landscape feel.

3. Well, I'm using the 17-55 for landscapes and I love what it churns out, but it has been noted as one of the sharpest lenses yet. It's not small in the least, so if you're looking at a 16 that's small, I'd say go for it. I was originally looking at the 12-24 but for a lot of factors, went with the 17-55. Not sure if I'd class the 16 as a fish but it should be just terrific for landscapes! Let us know what you decide. Cheers, S